Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 17,657 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking on moving from Edmonton to Windsor, Ontrario but can't make our mind. Our biggest reason for the move is our daughters condition (she can't handle the cold weather of Edmonton, she gets sick very easily like twice a month in winter time). Anyway I wanted to know if anyone of you can help us by providing the following information.
1. Weather compared to Edmonton (whats the average winter weather)
2. Cost of Living compare to Edmonton
3. Employment conditions (I am computer consultant thinking of working detroite and my wife is an Esthetician and she is also thing about becoming a Dental Assitant)
4. Schooling, crime rate
5. How are the people are they friendly Winnipegers or snobby like Torontonians
5. Or any opinion about the Windsor.
Once again I would like to thank you for taking this time to read my email.

Thanks

Sami
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:45 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,854,755 times
Snobby like Torontonians!?! I've been officially offended.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samithechef View Post
My wife and I are thinking on moving from Edmonton to Windsor, Ontrario but can't make our mind. Our biggest reason for the move is our daughters condition (she can't handle the cold weather of Edmonton, she gets sick very easily like twice a month in winter time). Anyway I wanted to know if anyone of you can help us by providing the following information.
1. Weather compared to Edmonton (whats the average winter weather)
2. Cost of Living compare to Edmonton
3. Employment conditions (I am computer consultant thinking of working detroite and my wife is an Esthetician and she is also thing about becoming a Dental Assitant)
4. Schooling, crime rate
5. How are the people are they friendly Winnipegers or snobby like Torontonians
5. Or any opinion about the Windsor.
Once again I would like to thank you for taking this time to read my email.

Thanks

Sami
1) Don't know if there is a comparison for winter in Edmonton. It would probably feel half as long.

Windsor looks more "continental" than Toronto: (changeable temps)

with many days similar or slightly milder than Toronto
and some days being radically warmer than Toronto.
Windsor is seldom colder than Toronto,
and the only reason is being further west, it may experience severe cold sooner as fronts move west-to-east
or sometimes severe cold hits the US Northern Plains hardest, and being more west Windsor can be colder than Toronto.

Windsor gets as much snow as Toronto in accumulations, but it doesn't usually stick around as long.
Windsor gets nearly as much snow as Edmonton, but again it melts much faster.

I would anticipate seeing patches of ground "bare of snow" for maybe 10-35 days from late-Dec to early-Mar,
while in Toronto we might see maybe 5-25 days.

Windsor has some of the warmest and mildest lows (sunrise temps ) in Canada, except for coastal BC in winter.

Windsor is slightly sunnier than Toronto, annually.

Windsor should have more humidity even in winter than Toronto,
so that might mean you are less likely to get chapped lips.

Windsor is the thunderstorm capital of Canada; hope you don't mind humidity.

2) Real Estate is dirt cheap if you're looking to buy, () thanks to crashing automotive sector. Rents probably quite low for "urban Canada."

5) Don't know if they are "snobby" or not, but they seem a lot slower paced than here, which can be good or bad. Probably a bit friendlier.

I would live in Windsor if I had a good job offer.
It's a definite improvement in weather over here.
Sometimes they might get a 1-2 week spell of spectacular warmth that Toronto doesn't see and I wish I were there.
Toronto is a reasonable drive from Windsor for weekend trips, if the city is a little to small for you.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Toronto is a reasonable drive from Windsor for weekend trips, if the city is a little to small for you.
There is also a reasonably large American city right across the river from Windsor which, in spite of the shocking decline of its inner city, does offer a heck of a lot in terms of shopping, culture and other activities.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:13 AM

Thanks for your replies folks, what about the jobs is it easier to get job across the border, like in Detroit. I am a computer consultant having 15+ yrs experience, from fortune 500 companies.
I won’t apologize for saying Torontonians are snobby as they are, when I first moved from Chicago to Toronto in 2003. Everybody in Toronto said that this is a big city like I moved from some village from a third world country so no apologies there. Businesses have no clue about customer service like they have not learned to smile at all.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:11 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies folks, what about the jobs is it easier to get job across the border, like in Detroit. I am a computer consultant having 15+ yrs experience, from fortune 500 companies.
I won’t apologize for saying Torontonians are snobby as they are, when I first moved from Chicago to Toronto in 2003. Everybody in Toronto said that this is a big city like I moved from some village from a third world country so no apologies there. Businesses have no clue about customer service like they have not learned to smile at all.
Do you have status in the US that would allow you to work? Currently in Michigan, I can't imagine there is a big need for the cost of getting an H Visa employee.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
You never said you lived in Chicago.
Comparing Windsor to Edmonton is difficult.
Comparing Windsor to Chicago is easy.

Windsor will get a little cloudier than Chicago, but extreme winter lows will be milder. (stronger "Lake Effect" in Windsor)
Likewise summer will have lower daytime temperatures, which is compensated by extra humidity, so the heat index is the same.
Length of winter should be about the same.

Annual sunshine hours aside, Windsor has more in common with Chicago than Toronto, imho.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM

I should be able to get the TN visa or L1 visa, at least that what I am hoping and before moving I will get a job than do the final move. I also want to know how is Windsor for business opportunities like to open an ethenic restaurant or a small car dealership.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 AM

746 posts, read 1,676,767 times
Quote:
I should be able to get the TN visa or L1 visa, at least that what I am hoping and before moving I will get a job than do the final move. I also want to know how is Windsor for business opportunities like to open an ethenic restaurant or a small car dealership.
My wife is from that area, and a lot of her friends do the border commute daily.
The housing is cheap, but the economy stinks. We just got back from a vacation 3-4 months ago, and people there are so broke it's sick. There is NO economic activity happening right now. IF you have an offer then move.

IF you can get an offer of employment from the other side, get your NEXUS card, and stick to the bridge - we've heard of tunnel delays going all the way back into the streets of Windsor.
I'm not too sure about the economy on the other side, but let your fingers do the talking, and google some Michigan job sites.

Have you thought about the lower mainland BC? Warmer weather, and at least there is something resembling an economy there.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,139 times
Quote:
My wife and I are thinking on moving from Edmonton to Windsor, Ontrario but can't make our mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Have you thought about the lower mainland BC? Warmer weather, and at least there is something resembling an economy there.
Are you in Edmonton at the moment?

Check out Matrikon HO located in Edmonton. They have 1 or 2 offices in Metro Vancouver and quality clients, including BC Hydro (if I'm not mistaken).

Accenture
They currently have 14 jobs for British Columbia.
Search Accenture Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada