Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Hot flashes changed how I feel about winter . Of course, we have that so-called dry cold they use to convince you -40 really isn't that bad.

I used to hate winter with a passion but then we used to have great summers. We haven't had a good summer here several years running now and this is the first time ever that I am wishing for winter and snow to put an end to memory of mud, disastrous crops, mosquitoes, standing water everywhere, and put a temporary end to some of the work that accompanies farming. I am dead tired.

There is still work in the winter, and the temperatures can make it uncomfortable and difficult, but it is still a chance to catch my breath.
I really feel for you netwit. I've lived on a farm, and the work never ends. Mny areas of the prairies were flooded out again this year...I hope next year will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
I really feel for you netwit. I've lived on a farm, and the work never ends. Mny areas of the prairies were flooded out again this year...I hope next year will be better.
Me too.

Can this year's floods will have a beneficial impact on water tables next summer?
I'm not sure how Prairie hydrological cycles work.

Toronto typically is only deficient in precip for 1-2 seasons in our worst droughts.
Beyond that, even if we are below-normal annually,
you wouldn't know because we generally have an abundance of moisture and everything greens up quickly.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Me too.

Can this year's floods will have a beneficial impact on water tables next summer?
I'm not sure how Prairie hydrological cycles work.

Toronto typically is only deficient in precip for 1-2 seasons in our worst droughts.
Beyond that, even if we are below-normal annually,
you wouldn't know because we generally have an abundance of moisture and everything greens up quickly.
The water tables have been high for at least four years (the last dry summer we had was 5 years ago, and that was preceded by several years of very wet summers) now from too much rain. It's just never dried up enough to tolerate even normal rainfall levels. Everyone wanted to go hunting on our land this year due to the migrating geese and ducks taking advantage of fields turned into lakes. (I don't allow hunting - just using it as an example of how much water there was).

Even a nice fall like we have had October until now isn't enough to dry up the land. We've had highs in the 12 - 15C range but that is expected to change as of today, with flurries expected tonight.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
not to bad today was 14 degrees and sunny here in vancouver
had a little frost this morning but turned into an awsome day pretty much jeans and a light sweatshirt type weather

Old 11-14-2010, 02:27 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
I don't mind the cold. I hate the snow. It's so dangerous driving in that crap. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where it's hot all year.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM

77 posts, read 284,502 times
Personally I love snow (even though I had to shovel my driveway everytime and some bad experience with driving) and sometimes want it more. Cold is okay, as long as it's not too bad. But when it gets too windy I really hate it. I prefer -15 degree with no wind over 0 degree with 30km/h wind.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps7028 View Post
Personally I love snow (even though I had to shovel my driveway everytime and some bad experience with driving) and sometimes want it more. Cold is okay, as long as it's not too bad. But when it gets too windy I really hate it. I prefer -15 degree with no wind over 0 degree with 30km/h wind.
I would prefer 110 km/h winds at 30 degrees C to either of those.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:48 PM

228 posts, read 696,411 times
I was watching old clips of Rick Mercer, and this remind me of this thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EQdX...eature=related

Old 11-16-2010, 07:00 PM

^^ Torontarded.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,831,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The water tables have been high for at least four years (the last dry summer we had was 5 years ago, and that was preceded by several years of very wet summers) now from too much rain. It's just never dried up enough to tolerate even normal rainfall levels. Everyone wanted to go hunting on our land this year due to the migrating geese and ducks taking advantage of fields turned into lakes. (I don't allow hunting - just using it as an example of how much water there was).

Even a nice fall like we have had October until now isn't enough to dry up the land. We've had highs in the 12 - 15C range but that is expected to change as of today, with flurries expected tonight.
Yes. The water tables are very high. They are talking about flooding in parts of Manitoba in very early spring. People have already started sandbagging. It's just unreal. Very sad for those who try to live off the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada