U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM

398 posts, read 654,121 times

Advertisements

Regarding living in Hamilton (the lower part of town, not up on the mountain), is there any concern about the pollution from the steel mills? I know there's some really nice parts of downtown, but would it be a better idea to stay up on the mountain or outside of Hamilton (Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Dundas) for better air quality?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 PM

950 posts, read 2,450,862 times
There was a time it was an issue. Used to be you saw a grey haze when driving down the mountain on the 403 but it is a lot better now.

Clean Air Hamilton Home

Old 11-15-2010, 08:10 PM

Thank you Marc, the website had a lot of detail. Looks like the pollution isn't really a huge issue and that it's worse than in Toronto but not nearly as bad as NYC, Detroit, or Pittsburgh.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 PM

1,655 posts, read 5,511,076 times
Hamilton's days of mass industry are long gone. It's only slightly worse than Toronto's air quality, but yeah it's manageable.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,587,536 times
Ah ha, so your interested in downtown Hamilton. I've said this before around here but I'll say it again. Downtown Hamilton is an awesome place to live. My oldest daughter lived there for the years she was in university. It's just really great. It has everything a person would ever want and a few just really beautiful neighbourhoods. I was born and lived my first 25 years in downtown Toronto and the closest thing I have ever experienced to the way Toronto used to be is Hamilton. It even looks like Toronto. You can get a nice upgraded house there for $300k and you would pay a couple of million for the same thing 30 miles down the road in Toronto.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 PM

I'm coming back (with the family this time) in a few days to check out the whole area again, from Niagara up to Hamilton. Hopefully we'll find some nice activities to do with the kids too.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:12 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,511,076 times
Have fun, make sure to check out the wide plethora of water falls along the escarpment!

Old 11-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Last time we saw Webster's Falls, what are the other ones we shouldn't miss? Preferably any that are not a huge distance from the parking area, since a long hike in the cold weather won't work too well with the two kids in tow.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM

662 posts, read 1,161,569 times
There is a website dedicated to Hamilton area waterfalls. Just Google Hamilton waterfalls it should be there.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:01 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,587,536 times
Check out "Balls Falls" in Jordon if you like falls. It's a nice one for sure. The Morningstar mill at the top of the escartment in St. Kitts is very interesting. It's right beside the St. Catherines waterworks that gets it's water from Lake Gibson. Lake Gibson is fed from a diversion from the Welland canal. This is quite interesting as St. Kitts then is supplied with Lake Erir water even though it's right on Lake Ontario. This water though is a few hundred feet higher than the city and that makes pumping a matter of gravity. The only problem is that lake Erie water tastes like a swamp. I recommend for good reasons that everyone who drinks great lakes water has their own reverse osmosis system.

My kids loved going down to Niagara Falls at night at this time of the year. All the Christmas lights should be up and the kids really like them plus the lights on the falls themselves.

I have been to Panama and toured the canal there and It's great but not as great as the canal viewing and museum at lock three in St. Catherines. Watching the big ships going through the locks is just amazing. My kids always enjoyed going there to watch and the museum has some pretty interesting things it's self.

The butterfly exhibit on the Niagara parkway between N.F. and Queenston is said to be the best one in the world. I know my grandchildren have been totally amazed when I have taken them there.

If you go there then a couple of KM down the road is Queenston Heights. You can climb up to the top of Brock's monument and view the entire Niagara river and the site of the battle where the Canadians chased the Americans back to the USA for once and for all, LOL. I hope you are not offended by my little joke there. It's a really beautiful place and very special in Canada's history. I had my wedding reception there so it has a real special place in my heart.

I'm not sure if it's still open at this time of the year but right beside Queenston Heights is the Sir Adam Beck generating station. There is a pretty interesting tour there and explanation of how it works.

I hope you have a great couple of days here in Niagara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada