Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 07:55 PM

228 posts, read 696,411 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on getting in the biotech field myself (I'm currently doing my PhD), and I would have to go with Boston. Boston is (IMO) the biotech capital of North America, plus you'll have a number of great universities to chose from when you decide to do your PhD. Toronto only has U of T, Mcmaster is an hour away and also have great Medical science/Heath Science/Life science programs, but U of T is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
I can't answer to your list of criteria, but I have lived in Canada, Cape Cod (Boston area) and currently in the south-midwest.

As far as quality of life goes, Toronto and KC are definitely on top of the list. Further, in my opinion Canada as a whole is superior for quality of life.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:16 AM

9 posts, read 14,915 times
Thank you to all on the advice.

Natasha H, what is your field of study? I personally have my BSc from the University of Hong Kong (major Biochemistry) and M.Sc from The Complutense University of Madrid in Molecular Biology. I wish you the best with your studies and aspirations.

I also agree with Boston being viewed as the Capital of Biotech. All my professors I have kept in contact with in both Hong Kong and Madrid seem to be pushing me in that direction because of the prestige and exciting work that awaits me in Cambridge-Boston.

Annemieke Roell. I value your opinion based on you living in the general area? Is life in Cape Cod similar to life in Boston? I have never visited Cape Cod but have read about it before. Is the quality of life that inferior in Boston that it is worth turning down a position that pays more than 35,000 more than in Toronto? Thank you for your advice.

As of now I am leaning towards Boston and Ottawa and will be visiting each city next week to finalize my decision. I am in a suburb of Kansas City now and I have enjoyed myself but I just do not see myself living here long term. Toronto is a city I enjoyed as well, it is difficult to reason in my mind that it is worth the difference in pay.

Ottawa and Boston as the finalists, which would you pick?

Last edited by Eduardo.Cordero; 12-15-2010 at 07:43 AM..

Old 12-15-2010, 08:12 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo.Cordero View Post
Is the quality of life that inferior in Boston that it is worth turning down a position that pays more than 35,000 more than in Toronto?
Definitely no.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:19 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
Depends of a few key factors:

- Boston is a much bigger city than Ottawa. Are you a true big city person or will a smallish big city like Ottawa do?

- How sensitive/hostile are you to cold weather? Boston can be cold and damp but Ottawa is even colder and snowier. But no so damp. More abundant and regular snow cover in Ottawa does offer excellent outdoor activity possibilities in winter, if you are into that sort of thing.

Summers are quite nice in both cities. Average July temperatures are quite similar in both.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM

43 posts, read 173,749 times
Quote:

Boston, no question. Given your background and intention to pursue a PhD in biotech, Boston is the clear choice.

Good luck!

Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Acajack, I am accustomed to a Mediterranean Climate so ideally I probably would not choose either city based on climate, but the warmer the better if possible. That is why beaches in the Summertime are important to me. In the winter I would like to play as much indoor futbol as possible.

I enjoy big city life, but am satisfied with a moderately sized city as well. I am from Madrid and have lived in Hong Kong as well and I like the vibrancy of a big city over a small one.

Have you lived in either city? Or visited either one? If so what is life like in both?

Old 12-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badyouken View Post
Boston, no question. Given your background and intention to pursue a PhD in biotech, Boston is the clear choice.

Good luck!
Thank you for your opinion Badyouken. All the best to you as well.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:17 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
I'd definitely go the Boston route if you're making that much more over there. However if your passion truly is "Futbol", the scene in Toronto is probably the best when it comes to the support out of North America. We have a large southern European immigrant population. We also have more Spaniards than Boston or KC does, not that it matters but that's how it is over here.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Throatguzzler, the difference in pay was that gap between Boston and Toronto, Boston being the highest of the four and Toronto the lowest.

Ottawa offered the 2nd highest salary.

While I do love playing Futbol, my real passion is my career. As long as there is a vibrant playing community in Ottawa or Boston then I will be satisfied. The gentlemen who took me on my tour in Cambridge-Boston was from Brasil and he said he plays twice a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada