Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:34 AM

95 posts, read 258,384 times

Advertisements

There were some Canadians I talked to in Canada that admitted they have prejudices against Americans. You hear all the time about people having prejudices based on race, religion, or ethnicity, but not so much on nationality (especially between Canadians and Americans). There are definitely noticable differences but both countries are very similar also. And Canada is highly americanized. So why is it that some Canadians would be prejudiced against Americans?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 AM

956 posts, read 1,113,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
There were some Canadians I talked to in Canada that admitted they have prejudices against Americans. You hear all the time about people having prejudices based on race, religion, or ethnicity, but not so much on nationality (especially between Canadians and Americans). There are definitely noticable differences but both countries are very similar also. And Canada is highly americanized. So why is it that some Canadians would be prejudiced against Americans?
Just off of the top of my head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUoQdRU35I

Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Stereotyping an entire population is not a very precise way of summing up a people. From a Canadian perspective Americans in general are for the most part are nice friendly people as long as you avoid a few sensitive topics.where Canadians probably get a negative view is the American Media and Americas government which seems to be fixated on their global importance and their compulsive seeming non stop pre occupation with their politics and by default their president.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 AM

22 posts, read 53,682 times
As an American living in Canada, yes. It seems like a little brother syndrome. When I was living in the U.S. I didn't learn that much about Canada besides that they were a British colony. I had the whole dog sleds stereotype in my head. No one really talks about Canada etc.. While here people can't say enough bad things about the U.S. I'll admit we do deserve some of it (still yet, people seem to have a grudge here for whatever reasons) but as I said before it seems like Canada is the smaller, unnoticed member of the family who is dwarfed by his big brothers accomplishments.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitric View Post
As an American living in Canada, yes. It seems like a little brother syndrome. When I was living in the U.S. I didn't learn that much about Canada besides that they were a British colony. I had the whole dog sleds stereotype in my head. No one really talks about Canada etc.. While here people can't say enough bad things about the U.S. I'll admit we do deserve some of it (still yet, people seem to have a grudge here for whatever reasons) but as I said before it seems like Canada is the smaller, unnoticed member of the family who is dwarfed by his big brothers accomplishments.
This may rile a lot of people but it is a really good assessment of the situation.

There are some Americans who are pricks about Canada (this FOX guy, Tucker Carlson) but for the most part Americans don't think much of Canada, other than they are "nice neighbours".

Polls consistently show that Americans know little about Canada, but also that they always view Canadians in a positive light, usually at or near the top of the list of the U.S.'s "best friend" countries.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,852,884 times
It's retribution to the prejudice we face from Americans, really. Every time Canada is mentioned in the States, we're usually written off as a joke or nothing of importance.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
I think you answered your own question.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:28 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
Yeah, but it's usually not taken that serious, often more of a joke, and at most, it would be like the contempt that say, Democrats or Republics have to each other or liberals and conservatives.

All in all, I don't really see it getting in the way of anyone's personal relationships, well, at least not more than ordinary political disagreements do. To compare Canadians' prejudice to Americans to the prejudice that appears in other parts of the world, where people actually passionately hate other nationalities as "the other side", would be a bit silly.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
It's retribution to the prejudice we face from Americans, really. Every time Canada is mentioned in the States, we're usually written off as a joke or nothing of importance.
Out of the millions of minutes of airtime and written material produced in the US every single day, just how much of it refers to Canada? A nanofraction at best. And only a an even smaller nanofraction of that could be called prejudicial.

The truth is that Canada is not really on the US radar, neither positively or negatively. This is probably what bothers (some) Canadians the most.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:25 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,852,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Out of the millions of minutes of airtime and written material produced in the US every single day, just how much of it refers to Canada? A nanofraction at best. And only a an even smaller nanofraction of that could be called prejudicial.

The truth is that Canada is not really on the US radar, neither positively or negatively. This is probably what bothers (some) Canadians the most.
I meant in general, not only the media. I've been to the States so much I've lost count and this' my general concensus from what I've experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.