Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live - in Canada or United States?
Canada 270 48.13%
United States 291 51.87%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:46 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times

Advertisements

I love visiting Canada. My trucking business allowed me to spend a lot of time in Alberta and B.C. in the 70's and 80's. One big negative for me are Canadian gun laws. I love firearms and will never surrender my right to own a handgun to a government. Living in Canada would require that. However I still love the place.

GL2

Old 12-20-2010, 01:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
I understand a lot of Americans out there want to try Canada out and disagree with American Exceptionalism - as someone said. That is fine and all but the fact is - those Americans want to try Canada out because they understand that America will offer them the environment which is best long term.

Some people would prefer Europe for the extensive social net. Some prefer Canada for the cold climate. or Australia for the spiders and right hand drive oddity cars. Some want America for its least amount of government intervention in your paycheck, that you can find in this world.. And that's ultimately what I am looking for.
I don't know if your post was directed at me, but I'm not one of those people. If I move to Canada, I would want to live in Canada for the rest of my life. Not "try Canada out," but build a life there and become a Canadian. I really do believe Canada is a better country than America. I don't see why a Canadian would want to come here, except for the warm weather.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:06 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
I understand a lot of Americans out there want to try Canada out and disagree with American Exceptionalism - as someone said. That is fine and all but the fact is - those Americans want to try Canada out because they understand that America will offer them the environment which is best long term.

Some people would prefer Europe for the extensive social net. Some prefer Canada for the cold climate. or Australia for the spiders and right hand drive oddity cars. Some want America for its least amount of government intervention in your paycheck, that you can find in this world.. And that's ultimately what I am looking for.
No, some of us want to try it out so we can compare the pros and cons and see where we prefer to live. Not b/c we know we will prefer America in the end. Though, it sounds like you like America better than Canada. So, good for you. However, some of us know better than to move to a foreign country without a test run first, so that's why some of us want to try it out. I mean, would you buy a car before you test drive it? America may NOT be best in the long run depending on who you are, so that's why it's worth a shot to get out and explore other countries before making a final decision.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:43 PM

I get what you're saying, but is Canada really a foreign country? In many respects it's just like the U.S., especially if you're from a northern state. It's not like moving to China or Botswana.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:56 PM

935 posts, read 2,410,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I get what you're saying, but is Canada really a foreign country? In many respects it's just like the U.S., especially if you're from a northern state. It's not like moving to China or Botswana.
I know, but there are still some differences. The reason behind my logic is because I visited Seattle a few times and enjoyed it. I moved there and found out I could not stand living there because of the "Seattle Freeze". I still say I would much rather live in Canada than I would the U.S., especially since I have many friends in Canada, but I want to give it a fair shot first by actually living and working there. Though, I need to figure out how to get a work visa first since I've only been working part-time professional jobs instead of full-time.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Oh, I get what you mean. I've heard (not sure how accurate this is) that you can get a work visa by getting hired for a job in Canada. The hard part is, Canadian companies can only hire non-Canadians for jobs they can't fill with a citizen.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:48 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,830,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
I love visiting Canada. My trucking business allowed me to spend a lot of time in Alberta and B.C. in the 70's and 80's. One big negative for me are Canadian gun laws. I love firearms and will never surrender my right to own a handgun to a government. Living in Canada would require that. However I still love the place.

GL2
I am happy you like visiting Canada. Believe me, most Canadians have no desire to own or have weapons in their homes, or on their bodies. The exceptions would be "farmers", gun collectors, hunters, etc. Some people may not like the gun registry and consider it a major intrusion into their affairs. Some of those same folks like my uncle), have had guns stolen which were recovered due to the same gun registry.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,563,721 times
I haven't voted on this because there is an issue of my loyalty being questioned. It is a public poll. I will say this. My French teacher from high school came from Canada. According to here, it feels more peaceful in Canada than in the USA. According to her, law suits aren't as common in Canada.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 AM

99 posts, read 220,125 times
I voted USA. I have been across Canada, across the USA, seen a ton of both, lived in both for periods of time. I liked Canada just fine, but honestly, it really didn't feel like 'home'. More often than not, it seemed like there was just more government intrusion in Canada. And that's why I live in America.

But honestly, two great nations, strong allies, what more can we say?

Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,525,155 times
With the exception of Quebec and the US South and Hawaii, there's not really glaring, in your face differences, between Canada and the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada