Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 08:55 AM

35 posts, read 73,239 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what the consensus is regarding the grade and High Schools in the towns outside of Victoria? I'm thinking around Lake Cowichan to Nanaimo on down towards Victoria. Maybe even going the other way in Sooke. I would like to be close to one of the ferries for obvious reasons. Lake Cowichan and Nanaimo appeal due to their proximity to the wilder side of the island.

I live in the States now (suburban Chicago) and am seriously thinking of moving to BC. In a couple of years - my oldest child will be 13 and youngest 10. Their schools right now are considered very good by US standards but I get the feeling, from some admittedly tough to wade figures, that the Canadian Provincial school systems are more rigorous and just flat out better across the board.

Here in the US, the schools are funded mostly by their districts/towns which mean the upper income areas have the better schools. Obviously not a good system. The comparison studies I have seen take the average of US schools which will skew averages down and compare those with the average Canadian schools which are more uniform and higher.

The decision to move is a tough one for us but is a Quality of Life decision and the harder I look the more sense this would make for my Wife and I and most especially the kids. What an eye opener for them BC would be. I have a job situation that would facilitate this for us. We have one more good move in us and now is the time to under take a major one like this. We want to stay put wherever we live next at least till the kids are gone to College. I myself can envision living out my days there in perhaps a more remote part of the Island.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by DCB80; 01-25-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada