Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 01:43 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most of Canada has very severe winters with average January temps of below -20C. To put that into perspective, only a handful of major world cities are that cold: mostly in Russia with one in Mongolia and a few in China. Even Canada's coldest big city of Winnipeg isn't as cold as -20C.

Anchorage averages -10C and Juneau about -2C from memory. Toronto averages -5C and Montreal and Ottawa -10C, in comparison.
Winter only tells part of the story. A lot of places (much of Scandinavia for example) are slightly milder than Canada's cities in winter, but they also don't have "real" summers like most Canadian cities have. So they tend to get -3 or -1 in the winter, and 18 C much of the time in mid-summer. Most of the Canadian cities you mentioned are 25C and above (sometimes well above) during the daytime in the summer months.

Depends on what you like. Everyone is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 04:53 PM

38 posts, read 78,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Winter only tells part of the story. A lot of places (much of Scandinavia for example) are slightly milder than Canada's cities in winter, but they also don't have "real" summers like most Canadian cities have. So they tend to get -3 or -1 in the winter, and 18 C much of the time in mid-summer. Most of the Canadian cities you mentioned are 25C and above (sometimes well above) during the daytime in the summer months.

Depends on what you like. Everyone is different.
i think even Oregon has chilly summers relative to southern Ontario, which is at the same latitude but has MUCH colder winters

Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShooz View Post
i think even Oregon has chilly summers relative to southern Ontario, which is at the same latitude but has MUCH colder winters
I am not familiar enough with Oregon's climate but I do know that in Canada the big city with the mildest winters (Vancouver) has cooler summers than all of the cold winter big cities: Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, etc.

I believe that almost all of these cities (except of Vancouver) have higher average summer temperatures than San Francisco and Oakland (but perhaps not San Jose which gets the inland heat effect).

Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM

59 posts, read 155,363 times
Actually, now that the dollar has reached parity, Canadians are wealthier than Americans.

As for taxes, etc., it really depends on where you live. People in New York, Massachusetts and in other parts of the northeast pay higher taxes than they would in Alberta, Saskatchewan and other parts of the Canada. Here in New York City, we even pay a city income tax and the Long Island and New Jersey have stratospheric property taxes. If you live in Texas, Florida or Arizona income and sales taxes will be lower (though these states tend to have relatively high property taxes to compensate.) On top of that you have to buy medical insurance, which is increasing at 20-56% per year and has all kinds of deductions: so many deductions and extra fees that many workers have to put additional money into "Health Savings Accounts" to cope with them. If you don't use up all the money you socked away in that Health Savings Account by the end of each year, you lose it.

Public education is better in Canada. The U.S's top universities are better than Canada's, but most people can't attend them, and fewer and fewer of those who are eligible can afford them since their tuition costs are rising faster than incomes. State universities, middle ranked private colleges and community colleges in the U.S. are about even with Canada's. But Canada's colleges and universities are far cheaper.

So I don't see much economic benefit from moving to the U.S. and I think the quality of life is far lower. American cities are almost apartheid-like with large no-go areas where most people are frightened to visit. And people who don't even live in those areas still often have some kind of expensive security system or gun, because they are scared. From time to time these areas erupt in riots: the Watts riots, LA riots, Detroit riots, etc.

But the advantages of the U.S. are climate and the fact that you can be a bigger fish in a bigger pond. Canada is never going to match either. The economy of Canada will always be smaller and even with climate change, Canada is never going to be Florida (at least in our lifetimes.)

Old 02-07-2011, 02:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am not familiar enough with Oregon's climate but I do know that in Canada the big city with the mildest winters (Vancouver) has cooler summers than all of the cold winter big cities: Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, etc.

I believe that almost all of these cities (except of Vancouver) have higher average summer temperatures than San Francisco and Oakland (but perhaps not San Jose which gets the inland heat effect).
That's pretty much correct although as far as Oregon goes, that depends on where you are in that state. Only the coast is cool in summer. Even Portland can get into the mid 90's at times and Medford up to 100 as well as areas east of the Cascades.

San Francisco has some of the coolest summer temps anywhere in inhabited North America. Oakland is slightly warmer but still cooler than Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or any of the prairie cities.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 15,240 times
Being a UK citizen , one issue in the USA is the prison population and incarceration rates , one in 100 people. More than any of the so called "evil countries" combined - Iran , China , Russia. And then living there you have the police and the long list of federal agencies. Add that to the unjust judicial system and the amount of laws. The Economist covered this topic in its article - Rough justice in America ,Too many laws , Too many prisoners.

Having lived in both Canada and the USA , the majority of my relatives are in both. I've never once been stopped or questioned by the police once while in Canada and I'm not white. Whereas in the police state that is the USA , which has more prisoners than any dictatorship in the world , i have been harassed numerous times starting before i have even left the airport and so have others i know who are frequent visitors to North America. Possibly as i have Indian heritage , but am Hindu , clean shaven , always wearing expensive suits , and a having a British accent. Even then the American police and officals can't leave you alone , are they jealous that they are on minimum wage? Well in Canada in Toronto , Montreal and Vancouver not once did i have a problem with any government official , police or security , actually i had pleasant dealings with the general public when living in Canada , the nicest people i have ever met , loved living there.

Whereas in USA i had a different experience and the ghettos are just horrible , here at least in the council estates - the ghettos of the UK , they get free healthcare , welfare money , rent often paid for or bills paid for.

Most people i meet here who have been to both countries prefer Canada , and many of my classmates from boarding school and university have moved to Canada permanently. Some have moved to the USA but i have the complaints that have raised above and have left and moved back here rather than live in a place that is becoming a paranoid police state.

In terms of tax Canada is not dissimilar to the UK , and much lower than Denmark , Sweden , Norway , Finland etc which have the best quality of life in Europe. A UK professional will pay 40 or 50 percent income tax , so to many Europeans Canada's taxes are not absurd at all.

The kind of debt people get into in America after university , college , is ridiculous , in Europe many go for free or there are fair student loans systems implemented the by the government.

Last edited by Rahul108; 02-14-2011 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 01:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I thni it for the same rason that Alaska is not so populated. Its not Miami beach that is for sure.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Don't underestimate climate... In Calgary for instance we actually have retention issues for workers even though we have shortages for many professions and the wages are the highest in Canada. Climate is stated as one of the top reasons people leave.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:04 PM

49 posts, read 67,296 times
Hello, I heard Canada have 7 million immigrants, the moved to this country before 1960. Out of 7 million immigrants 6 million left, maybe that is the reason why Canada is thinly populated. When Canada was under the British rule, the British Monarchy and the Canadian government at the time only allow people from British Isle to moved to Canada, while other Countries were not allowed on late century.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM

482 posts, read 2,418,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentmassey View Post
Hello, I heard Canada have 7 million immigrants, the moved to this country before 1960. Out of 7 million immigrants 6 million left, maybe that is the reason why Canada is thinly populated. When Canada was under the British rule, the British Monarchy and the Canadian government at the time only allow people from British Isle to moved to Canada, while other Countries were not allowed on late century.
I've heard that as well... 1/3 of immigrants to Canada leave within 5 years apparently...

Two reasons I've heard is, one, Canada tends to accept "overeducated" professionals and the employment opportunities are not what these folks are accustomed to... The taxi driver doctor you always hear about comes to mind...

Second reason, the weather... Too cold... Middle of April here in Calgary and snowing now for 4 days nonstop for example...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada