Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you planning to leave Canada for good, given the current situation?
I like Canada despite everything and have no plans of moving. 6 85.71%
I dislike Canada somewhat yet I cope with it by cross border shopping, ignoring negatives etc. 0 0%
I would move but only if I got a job offer / student visa / family sponsor. 0 0%
I dislike the direction Canada is going and want to move in next 1-2 years regardless. 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:08 AM

178 posts, read 523,817 times

Advertisements

I noticed there have been a lot of criticizing of Canada lately by a few people. I appreciate these discussions because they have a lot of very valid points even if they are repeated by a few people. Many people I know agree with these points however they are very hesitant to admit that "Canada sucks" as a whole, because let's face it, if you have a job, family and friends here it is hard to really say that you hate a place regardless of how bad things are. For many, it was hard in itself to leave everything behind and immigrate here but they did it.

For the record, I am an immigrant and 25 years old. I have lived in Canada for over 14 years and I think that is 10 years too much.

I think what's happening here is a lot of people who immigrated here in the 90s, or grew up here in the 90s (mostly to Toronto) got suckered in by the fact that Canada is "the best place in the world" - the statement that was spawned as UN ranked Canada as the most livable city in the world. In the early 90s, Canada had a relatively strong economy and adequate prices compared to the US, as the dollar was to 60 cents back then. We had a healthcare to be proud of - as US crack epidemic and gang crime were at its highest. Many Canadians looked at the US at that time and genuinely were happy to be in Canada, and rightfully so.

Let's look at Toronto. Once accepted, almost all new immigrants were put on planes headed for Toronto, as it had the busiest and largest airport. Another advertising element was the CN tower - being the highest in the world, lots and lots of Toronto's souvenir shops capitalized on those two ideas and in the end attracted millions of immigrants. Starting with Mike Harris and the privatization of highway 407 ushered the end of the good old Toronto as I knew it. After proceeding with high school and university in Toronto I realized that this is definitely not the place I want to spend my life in, despite my friends and family's objections.

Montreal: I have immigrant friends who landed in Montreal, lived there for a few months and had to come back to Toronto ASAP. I have to sit back and think for a while, how emotionally draining could it be to come to an unknown country and then move 3 months later? Montreal had a huge depression as many government jobs were pulled out. Since Montreal already lost all businesses during the quiet revolution it was already a ghost town. Things have rebounded recently but the crumbling infrastructure and lack of any economy or investment into the city sets it behind even Detroit.

Vancouver: Can't say much about this but I am positive housing prices were not out to lunch like they are now. This would have attracted more immigrants and in turn boosted and diversified its economy. What we have instead is wealthy transplants from Asia and marijuana makes up the largest part of Vancouver's GDP.

Calgary must have been a small town back in the 90s, but they have certainly rebounded a lot. If it wasn't for the climate, Calgary would definitely be at the top of the list to live in. The only problem is that Calgary's success is bittersweet. The only reason Calgary's economy exists is because of the tar sands and the pipelines that come out of there, directly south to supply the Americans. As a result Eastern Canada has to import their oil which figuratively isolates Calgary from the rest of Canada. I wonder what goes through a Calgerian's head when he reads that the tar sands have a higher reserve than Saudi Arabia, yet fills up at a dollar a liter, while a Saudi fills up at 16 cents a liter.

So I am curious, if that is the sentiment that is shared among some people, are you planning on moving out of here? I will post a poll because I am curious.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times
Your poll will not be representative of Canadian residents as you have no way of knowing whether the people answering your poll even actually live in Canada.

Should have made it a poll where you can see who votes.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM

233 posts, read 538,443 times
Canada's okay but the reason I live here is because I'm live in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
Canada's okay but the reason I live here is because I'm live in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Haha I didn't even mention you guys because I didn't know anyone lived there

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Have fun in the US buddy and good luck finding a job; something Americans can't even get in their own country. And you hate Toronto because the 407 is now a toll route? Lol? I suggest actually LIVING in the US for a couple months on a green card or w/e and see how it's really like. There's so much you take for granted here that will surprise you when it aint there on the other side. Ciao.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 AM

228 posts, read 696,411 times
Moved to the states, moved back to Canada and really have no desire to living in the US again.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post
"Canada sucks"
Dont let the door hit you in the butt on your way out eh.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
What you are missing is that not everyone is an immigrant and most people are not wanderers and tend to grow where they are planted. Extreme circumstances can compel anyone to move anywhere.

For most people it isn't about whether Canada or the US has the better economy or health care or jobs - it is about living where you were born, among those you grew up with, within a culture you more or less know by heart, and that wouldn't change even if Canada didn't have universal health care (as one example) or the US did.

That in itself is not why born-and-bred people stay anywhere. Your circumstances as an immigrant make your case and liking or disliking of any country different since there aren't those ties to hold you here.

That is why there exists the saying that "there's no place like home."

And lastly, TO is not the centre of the universe.

Last edited by netwit; 01-27-2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Have fun in the US buddy and good luck finding a job; something Americans can't even get in their own country. And you hate Toronto because the 407 is now a toll route? Lol? I suggest actually LIVING in the US for a couple months on a green card or w/e and see how it's really like. There's so much you take for granted here that will surprise you when it aint there on the other side. Ciao.
Well hey no disrespect or anything. That's life right? Trying to find a little place that is ideal. That's where our opinions differ, I see that there is a lot that Americans take for granted, not the other way around.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:37 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architext View Post

Montreal: Montreal had a huge depression as many government jobs were pulled out. Since Montreal already lost all businesses during the quiet revolution it was already a ghost town. Things have rebounded recently but the crumbling infrastructure and lack of any economy or investment into the city sets it behind even Detroit.

Statements like these make me tend to believe you have some personal vendetta against the country that welcomed you in as an immigrant.maybe we should get a bit more selective in the future eh!
Your rant on Montreal is totally inaccurate
,Montreal is a ghost town and lost all its businesses?
When was this depression where the government pulled out?
Couple of years down in your precious USA will give you a whole new appreciation for Canada..Immigrant eh yeah they'll take real good care of you down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada