Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 PM

8 posts, read 20,717 times

Advertisements

Question - what city/region currently is the best place to find a job (i.e. lowest unemployment) for someone entering the professional/business sector? I have struggled for soooooo long to find a job and don't really know where to turn. Right now I am willing to go anywhere in Canada, and if I still have no success, I might think about immigrating to other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 AM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalleternal View Post
Question - what city/region currently is the best place to find a job (i.e. lowest unemployment) for someone entering the professional/business sector? I have struggled for soooooo long to find a job and don't really know where to turn. Right now I am willing to go anywhere in Canada, and if I still have no success, I might think about immigrating to other countries.
What is your degree in? What field are you looking for?

Without knowing more info it's impossible to help you.

I will say oil/gas in Alberta is hot right now, worth a look.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post

General business/administration entry level.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 PM

233 posts, read 538,484 times
Quote:
And you can't get a job? Do you have a degree or diploma? Where have you been applying for jobs too?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poscstudent View Post
And you can't get a job? Do you have a degree or diploma? Where have you been applying for jobs too?
Diplomas yes. I have been applying all over Ontario.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 PM

746 posts, read 1,677,002 times
Quote:
Well like I said, if Alberta appeals to you, there's jobs out here. Friends I know actually are getting multiple offers. Put your nose to the grindstone and do your homework. If you really want it, it's out here.
It's a pretty great place to live - I've been here more than ten years.
If you wish to stay in Ontario, not sure I can help you..

Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM

233 posts, read 538,484 times
Do you look at job postings for other provinces?

Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post

I'd say don't bother applying to oil/gas companies in Alberta if you are non-white or non-conservative leaning... Specifically if you are not a WASP from a small town or didn't grow up on a farm in Saskatchewan...

Sucks to say but that is the observation of my non-white friends... (apparently accounting isn't as bad though)

I'm over simplifying a bit but I do quite a bit of work with oil/gas firms in Alberta, visit quite a few offices and sites, and lets just say the industry isn't going to win any diversity awards anytime soon... It actually is quite amazing how little diversity there is in oil/gas compared to Canada as a whole... There is an anti-diversity and anti-urban bias in the industry... Especially on the rigs, but the offices are "good ol' boy" as well...

The industry leans, white male suburban small town... Those are the facts.

Check out employers who supply to oil and gas... They tend to be more open minded.

The industry as a whole isn't the meritocracy it is cracked up to be... Lot of nepotism dressed up as "a good team fit." At least not as much as the more "knowledge based" industries such as engineering, IT, software, etc.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM

I'm starting to but I am being held back by close parents and relatives begging me to stay here. But I have a hard deadline of spring. By then, if I am no closer, I will look west - probably in Alberta first. (And if that doesn't work, I will look abroad in 2012.)

Old 02-04-2011, 12:11 AM

250 posts, read 643,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I'd say don't bother applying to oil/gas companies in Alberta if you are non-white or non-conservative leaning... Specifically if you are not a WASP from a small town or didn't grow up on a farm in Saskatchewan...

Sucks to say but that is the observation of my non-white friends... (apparently accounting isn't as bad though)
I don't know if I agree. I work for a public accounting firm, and I mostly audit oil and gas companies. One of my clients is a very large company.

I encounter diversity at these companies, particularly in the accounting and finance departments of the bigger company. Upper management is still white, but new hires are very diverse. The face of upper management will change in time (hopefully).

Calgary is one of the best places in the country to find an office job. I don't rate it that high for quality of life though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada