U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 07:53 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,397,516 times

Advertisements

As this American understands it, Canada is a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy. I know that Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, so that essentially means that it's leader is the monarch of the United Kingdom, so Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state. Yet Canada isn't part of the UK if I'm not mistaken. Not that this keeps me up at night, I'm just innocently and randomly curious.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM

746 posts, read 1,550,480 times
Most of Canada hates the fact we're still tethered to the motherland like this. At least you guys had the nuts to tell Britain to F off.

I'm pretty sure there is no real power there, we have a governor general that is the official representative to the official head of state)queen Elizabeth) That's about it.
Personally the royal family can die, I mean we live in the 21st century for crying out loud, let's move on already

Old 02-12-2011, 09:40 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,397,516 times
So most Canadians don't think too highly of the queen? Interesting. But your government can quit being a member anytime it wants to, right?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:44 PM

4,284 posts, read 14,865,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
As this American understands it, Canada is a parliamentary democracy and a constitutional monarchy. I know that Canada is a member of the Commonwealth, so that essentially means that it's leader is the monarch of the United Kingdom, so Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state. Yet Canada isn't part of the UK if I'm not mistaken. Not that this keeps me up at night, I'm just innocently and randomly curious.

Canada isn't part of the UK because it's an independent country.

Canada is indeed a constitutional monarchy with Elizabeth II, Queen of Canada, as it's sovereign.

Queen Elizabeth also serves as monarch, in separate roles, to the UK and some other Commonwealth countries.

If your random curiosity isn't sated, then try this link:

The Queen and Canada

Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,298,234 times
We are not part of the UK because our semi autonomus government decided in 1867 to form a sovereign nation. We were helped along the way by the British parlament of the day which passed the British North America act, BNA act,{strange in that the UK does not have and never has had a constitutionof it's own} which served as Canada's constitution until 1982 at which time we recieved our own constitution written by Canadians for Canadians.

By the way I personally am a big supporter of the Monarchy and really love having the Queen as our head of state. It's 99% a figurehead position and it has some very distinct advantages over a politician being head of state. When your president does something really dirty or immoral it has a very bad effect on the nation as a whole. Examples are Nixon and Clinton. When a Canadian prime minister acts bad well that's what politicians do, isn't it? We get rid of him and get a new one, like tomorrow if we like. Our prime minister is, well he's just the leader of the party that has the most members in the house. His own party can turf him and appoint a new leader and then he's the PM. But the queen, she's a good old gal and she's always there looking pretty minding her own business and being, well the queen.

God bless the Queen.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:35 PM

24,682 posts, read 49,060,480 times
Australia is in the same boat. I hope we before a republic before Prince Big Ears steps on the throne, that's for sure.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:29 PM

3,858 posts, read 6,393,163 times
Changing Canada's system of government would open up a whole can of worms - notably Senate reform and Quebec's position under a new constitution. No point removing the Queen as head of state unless you can get agreement on the new form of government.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 PM

10,018 posts, read 11,298,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Changing Canada's system of government would open up a whole can of worms - notably Senate reform and Quebec's position under a new constitution. No point removing the Queen as head of state unless you can get agreement on the new form of government.
Our government functions probably better than any other country in the world. Why would we willingly change it to anything else but some minor tweaks.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 PM

3,858 posts, read 6,393,163 times
Queens Visit Raises Monarchy Profile in Canada | Angus Reid Public Opinion
Angus-Reid Poll June 2010:
36% Canada remaining a monarchy
30% Canada having an elected head of state
21% It makes no difference to me
14% Not sure

Old 02-13-2011, 11:17 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,431,679 times
The UK is about as relevant to me as Congo, Africa. I don't even know why we still have ties to that country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada