Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:05 AM

110 posts, read 588,846 times

Advertisements

Victoria has always been very mysterious to me, in that I don't know anything about it.

Here are some questions:
1. Is it big land-wise?
2. How many big, major malls does it have?
3. Does it have a good nightlife? night clubs?
4. How is the job market like for college graduate?
5. I heard there are lots of old people there, is that true?
6. Is the fairy to/from Vancouver open 24 hours? And how long does it take to commute from Victoria to Vancouver?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 PM

207 posts, read 749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
Victoria has always been very mysterious to me, in that I don't know anything about it.

Here are some questions:
1. Is it big land-wise?
6. Is the fairy to/from Vancouver open 24 hours? And how long does it take to commute from Victoria to Vancouver?
My brother-in-law came to Toronto from Victoria BC, and he said that the island is a great place to live if you are retired, I guess that answer your question # 5, and prety much answer question # 3 and 4.
The ferry don't run 24/7, futhermore i heard Vancouver is quite boring at night.
I might be wrong since his info is at least 15 years old, and i never experience BC first hand.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 PM

4 posts, read 27,066 times
Quote:

Here are some questions:
1. Is it big land-wise?
1. Are you asking about the City of Victoria or the size of Vancouver Island? The City of Victoria is relatively small, land-wise, but is surrounded by many other municipalities (Saanich, Oak Bay, etc.) that increase the greater Victoria area.

2. Mayfair Mall, the Bay Centre, and Hillside Mall are the largest malls, but would be considered smallish compared to those you will find in big cities.

3. There is an active nightlife due in part to the fact Victoria is a university town. It is conveniently concentrated in the downtown core and is very active. It is smaller than what you'd find in a bigger city though (e.g. only one gay bar, etc.)

4. I think that Victoria's unemployment rate was recently rated as the lowest in Canada--equal to or lower than Calgary's.

5. There is a large retiree population in Victoria but it is a dynamic city of 300,000 with people of all different ages.

6. The ferries run from 6/7am in the morning until 10/11pm at night, daily. The crossing to Vancouver takes 1 hour 35 minutes. People travelling on business are more likely to take the seaplane or Helijet (helicopter), which take about 30 minutes to Vancouver. I don't know anyone personally who commutes daily to Vancouver. It is too expensive/inconvenient.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
A wondorous place Victoria. A small city in a site that can only be described as elegant. It is not the modern swinging city that is Vancouver. Much more laid back. The most English City on the continent.

I will leave employment and such to locals who will know better.

It is a particularly nice place for those who want to go a little rural. You can move out the Island to find just about whatever you like. I infact prefer 15 miles out of downtown...but like it being there.

And head on out a ways. Nanaimo is younger, a little smaller and swings a lot more.

Vancouver is a class city. But if you get over that the Island offers much nicer places.

When you outgrow it all there is the Gulfs. Live cheap if you are willing to put up with sea access. Roads cost.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:19 PM

50 posts, read 306,400 times
olecapt where is this at?

When you outgrow it all there is the Gulfs. Live cheap if you are willing to put up with sea access. Roads cost.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,230,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvgs View Post
olecapt where is this at?

there are a large set of wonderous Isnalds in the Inland passage. Between Vanouver Island and the mainliand. The Canadian ones are called the Gulf Islands. They run up along the inland passage from Victoia to the northeast end of the Island. I suspect there are more than a thousand.

Toward Victoria there are well known ones with ferry serivces such as Salt Spring. One of my favorites is well to east called Lasqueti Island. Spent a dark and stormy night there some years ago. Locals claimed it was the MJ capital of BC but how would I know.

Generally you can buy cheap on the island without ferry service and cheaper yet on those without roads. But you must build your place and supply it from the water.

Not for the Chicken. But a wonderful place to get away from it all...if you can stand getting away from it all.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:48 AM

50 posts, read 306,400 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
there are a large set of wonderous Isnalds in the Inland passage. Between Vanouver Island and the mainliand. The Canadian ones are called the Gulf Islands. They run up along the inland passage from Victoia to the northeast end of the Island. I suspect there are more than a thousand.

Toward Victoria there are well known ones with ferry serivces such as Salt Spring. One of my favorites is well to east called Lasqueti Island. Spent a dark and stormy night there some years ago. Locals claimed it was the MJ capital of BC but how would I know.

Generally you can buy cheap on the island without ferry service and cheaper yet on those without roads. But you must build your place and supply it from the water.

Not for the Chicken. But a wonderful place to get away from it all...if you can stand getting away from it all.
Thanks for the info. I will do some investigating to see what land goes for .

Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,447,266 times
Victoria is not a place you go to if you're seeking major malls, good nightlife and nightclubs. Sure, it exists, but it's very limited and is not the city's virtue. While it's still ridding its reputation as "the home of the newly wed and nearly dead" Victoria is still looked at as a retirement city. So if you're young and you're single, you might find Victoria a little bit sleepy. It really depends where you're coming from. If you're from a small town, then Victoria will seem large and bustling. But if you're from a city of over a million people, it'll feel tiny as Victoria's population is about 75,000 people. In the summer, the streets are filled with middle aged American tourists gawking at all things "British" - downtown becomes very touristy. When you include the suburbs, the population is only a little over 300,000 - still small potatoes as far as cities go. If you're coming from a large city, Victoria will feel like you've moved to a small town. So if you're seeking a vibrant bustling cosmopolitan city, you're not going to find it in Victoria. Saying that, if you have interest in sailing, or boating, or kayaking, or jogging, or going out on road trips to go surfing, or hiking, or mountain biking, you'll love Victoria. But as a real urban destination, it can be limited.

To get from downtown Victoria to downtown Vancouver, it takes a minimum of 3 hours by car/ferry (the ferry doesn't run 24/7 - look at BC Ferries: WELCOME ABOARD BC FERRIES. The schedule changes depending on the time of the year. I think the latest ferry leaves at 10pm (and sometimes 11pm). The ferry ride takes an hour and a half, but the terminals are both outside of Vancouver/Victoria (about a 30-45 minute drive between the city and the terminal).

Quote:

Here are some questions:
1. Is it big land-wise?

Last edited by Robynator; 09-25-2007 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Fixing typos

Old 02-17-2008, 03:44 AM

19 posts, read 108,377 times
Good advise Robynator, I'd just like to add, Victoria is just a small part of Vancouver Island and what it has to offer. Travelling up island will find such treasures and jems, let alone the islands, and never mind the west coast. I guess I am saying that Vancouver Island isn't about Victoria, Victoria, is such a teeny spot on this Island. Don't get me wrong, I live here in Victoria, but I've spent so much time up island that Victoria is nothing but a hectic little city that offers nothing but a small city for young people going to college or university and very old people.

Last edited by canadian1; 02-17-2008 at 04:02 AM..

Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 AM

19 posts, read 108,377 times
Quote:

Here are some questions:
1. Is it big land-wise?
I don't know where you live, but here goes. I live in Victoria and will answer your questions honestly..

1. NO, it is not big land wise
2. We have 2 major malls here
3. My son has had fun in his nightlife in Victoria. He is 24 yrs old
4. ****TY, there is no jobs for college graduates here in Victoria, I'm sorry!
5. Yes, there are alot of old retired people here in Victoria. Guess why? It is the warmest climate in Canada. Guess where all these old people retire to that are in Canada?
6. First of all, it's called a 'Ferry', and no, the ferry doesn't run 24 hrs. a day. It normally runs from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., and in the summer there are added sailings. The commute/ferry from Victoria to Vancouver is 1 and a half hours.

I hope this helps you in your decision about Victoria and Vancouver Island. It is not a place for a young person to make money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada