Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2024, 10:00 AM

219 posts, read 161,373 times

Advertisements

Currently no but like someone else said, I have German Shepherds. If we didn’t have dogs, I would probably lock them at night just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 10:46 AM

2,401 posts, read 1,570,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
Currently no but like someone else said, I have German Shepherds. If we didn’t have dogs, I would probably lock them at night just in case.
i lock my door to keep my dogs in, they are able to open the door by pressing down on the handle

Old 04-16-2024, 12:48 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
I thought it was a bit ridiculous when Michael Moore in one of his movies visited a number of homes in central Toronto and tried to make Americans believe that people in the heart of a city with several million people didn't lock their doors.

Old 04-16-2024, 12:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
I definitely lock my doors around here.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:02 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07slay.html

The authorities say the intruders entered the house through an open door at 3 a.m. Monday as Dr. Petit slept in a chair on the first floor, his wife and daughters in their rooms upstairs. The previous evening, the men had followed Ms. Hawke-Petit and Michaela home from the parking lot of a Super Stop & Shop three miles away.

ADVERTISEMENT

They were a mismatched pair. Mr. Komisarjevsky (pronounced ko-mi-sor-JEFF-ski) is tall and thin, Mr. Hayes shorter and stockier. Mr. Komisarjevsky lived with his parents in Cheshire, 1.7 miles from the Petits. Mr. Hayes was born in Florida and was raised by a single mother, with whom he still lived in Winsted, a working-class town of 7,000 some 30 miles away.

Mr. Komisarjevsky had been breaking into houses since the age of 14, generally sneaking in at night through unlocked back doors in Cheshire and similar suburbs, wearing latex gloves and military night-vision goggles.

Mr. Hayes had spent his whole adult life in and out of prison for burglary. He specialized not in homes but in cars: He went to public parks and broke into parked cars with a rock, sometimes taking the vehicle, more often just snatching something inside to sell.

...My parents ALWAS locked the doors, when we lived out in the country or a small quiet New England town of 20,000 or in a Detroit suburb, or in a small Arkansas town. THEY ALWAYS LOCKED THEIR DOORS. And we always lock our doors. ALWAYS.

How hard is it to lock a door? The odds of a psychopathic nightmare walking in at 3 am are a million to one. But it happened to that family. Pure horrorshow.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:29 PM

That was one of the most horrifying and haunting stories I've ever heard about.

As a father and husband, I sometimes think about that when I make decisions about my family's safety. Not that our doors are always locked with alarm system armed. We're not paranoid and we live in an extremely safe area. But so did the Petit family - at least they thought.

But certainly when we're sleeping everything is locked up.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:31 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,522,955 times
I wonder if you have issues with car theft like we do in Sydney? The wealthiest areas are now the inner suburbs where often parking is very limited. So people will park their very expensive cars in the street or in their driveways. Then not bother to look their doors at night. So we have had teenagers sneaking in and searching for the car keys to take the car for a joy ride. Those type of cars being pretty well theft proof without the keys.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:55 PM

Yes car thefts for export have exploded here.

I live 2 hours west of Montreal where the port serves as a departure point for stolen cars destined for "buyers" (sic) in Africa a.d the Middle East.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:21 PM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times
lol @ Canadians not locking their doors.

It is definitely an urban VS rural thing.

In the city, I can see people not locking their doors during the daytime when they are home and puttering around. But I don't know of anyone who will leave their doors unlocked at night or when they are not at home.

Even during the day, there is a risk of someone sneaking in and trying to steal something to fuel their drug habit, etc.

TBH, I tell my elderly parents to make sure that the storm doors are locked when they keep the main doors open in the heat of the Summer for air passage. Easy to defeat, but at least it still takes some effort to get in.

I wish we lived in a society where keeping everything open was an option.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:35 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,173,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
lol @ Canadians not locking their doors.

It is definitely an urban VS rural thing.

In the city, I can see people not locking their doors during the daytime when they are home and puttering around. But I don't know of anyone who will leave their doors unlocked at night or when they are not at home.

Even during the day, there is a risk of someone sneaking in and trying to steal something to fuel their drug habit, etc.

TBH, I tell my elderly parents to make sure that the storm doors are locked when they keep the main doors open in the heat of the Summer for air passage. Easy to defeat, but at least it still takes some effort to get in.

I wish we lived in a society where keeping everything open was an option.
Why NOT lock your doors in the daytime? How difficult is it to turn the lock? It takes one second and zero energy.
This absolutely baffles me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada