Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM

4 posts, read 35,568 times

Advertisements

I am a canadian working out of Toronto and my wife is american working in Buffalo. We moved to St. Catharines, Ontario recently after getting married due to it's distance between both cities and she is in the process of applying for perminent residence. I only tarvel to Toronto 1-2 times per week so the commute isn't that bad. We each make approx. $50,000/year ($100,000 combined) before taxes and we both have good health care coverage through our respective jobs. Would living in the Buffalo area be a good move with respect to taxes and all round cost of living. Also, there is a tax credit she will recieve for the taxes she pays to NY (income tax) that she will put towards her Canadian income tax. Is this tax credit equal to (dollar for dollar) the amount she will see on her US tax form. We would hate to to pay for a move only to find out that we are still paying as much out as we were in Ontario. We are both in our twenties (just starting out together) and are trying to pay off our...my student loans. We will eventually be looking to buy a house just outside the city (St. Catharines or Buffalo). Thanks for any insight you can provide us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,841 times
I'm a little puzzled.

Quote:
Also, there is a tax credit she will recieve for the taxes she pays to NY (income tax) that she will put towards her Canadian income tax.

If your wife is a US citizen working in the United States, why on earth would she be paying Canadian Income Tax? If she declares herself as not residing in New York State, is she not exempt from state income tax, or at least eligible for a refund of state income tax?

Canadian tax questions are best addressed to Canada Revenue Agency. Check your blue pages or use this link:

Welcome to the Canada Revenue Agency / Bienvenue à l'Agence du revenu du Canada

Old 07-28-2007, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 35,568 times
From what I've read, Canada bases there income tax on residency and the US on Citizenship. So no matter where you live in the world, if you are a US citizen you will always have to file for your US taxes. But, there is a treaty written into the tax system which accounts for the fact that you may be paying taxes somewhere else. So, in our case, because she lives in Canada, she will have to pay Canadian income tax. She is paying tax to NY off each paycheck, but the Canadian Revenue Agency will give her a credit towards the tax she has paid to NY, thus not taxing her twice. The only thing we have yet to determine is if the credit is for the precise amount of tax she pays to NY state.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:49 PM

18 posts, read 38,348 times
Default Update...

Just curious what you decided to do as far as relocating for you and your wife.
We are looking at moving to St Catharines next year so we can live in Canada, but my wife wants to keep working in the US until all her student loans are paid off. She is looking at commuting from St Catharines. How doable is that for someone working in Buffalo? Your insights will help.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey77 View Post
We are looking at moving to St Catharines next year so we can live in Canada, but my wife wants to keep working in the US until all her student loans are paid off. She is looking at commuting from St Catharines. How doable is that for someone working in Buffalo? Your insights will help.
It's an easy commute, no traffic and quick across the border. I lived in St. Catherines for 20 years and moved away. When we moved back to Niagara in December we looked for house to buy in St Kitts but ended up in Niagara Falls. I like it even better than St kitts. It's great here with everything you could ever want in a city. It's about 30% less expensive for RE and it's 20 minutes closer to Buffalo for you.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey77 View Post
Easy but do yourself a favor and apply for a NEXUS trusted traveller card. This way you can use the Whirlpool Bridge in NF to go back/forth. Never backed up as the other border crossings can get backed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada