Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a professional online poker player from the US, which I've done full time and as my only source of income for nearly 10 years. As of today, the US DOJ has completely cut off access to real money online poker rooms for all US Citizens... in other words I'm out of a job. The only solution for me to continue to support my family is move them out of the US to a country that allows online poker.

I am married and have children, all of us US Citizens. I am originally from the Western NY area and have family in that area, so I'd like to be just over the border. That way I can work and my kids can have family nearby, albeit crossing to the border to see them in NY.

Ok, so my question is... suppose I want to either move myself or move the entire family to Canada for a few years minimum (at least until the US sorts out poker legislation), what exactly does this all entail. What do we need to rent a house, get a bank account, and enroll our kids in schools? Do we need full citizenship to do this? If I decide to keep the kids/wife in the states for now and I go back and forth, what would I need for myself?

Also, can anyone suggest any city in the Niagara Region that's better than another? Rent amounts aren't an issue as long as I can continue to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 AM

22 posts, read 56,785 times
For citizens of most countries, working in Canada requires the appropriate visa. But you wont be working in the traditional sense of the word. However, you will need to enroll your children in school so you will need to be a "valid citizen".

Anyways, you will need to apply for a immigration visa. One of the most popular types is the Federal Skilled Worker Class Visa, which seeks to attract people with desirable skills and experience to contribute to the economy. Successful applicants receive permanent residence status, affording them all the rights of a Canadian citizen except the right to vote. Those who don't meet the criteria for skilled workers can apply for a regular work permit, which requires an offer of employment from a Canadian business. Economic immigration is also possible under an investor visa, which grants permanent residence to anyone with the intention of setting up a business in Canada.

Check out the Immigrating to Canada website Immigrating to Canada for information on applications.

If you already have family in Canada, you can get them to sponsor you but if you don't, then the CIC is hugely backlogged and it is highly unlikely that your application will be processed even before the year.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada