Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM

11 posts, read 60,788 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are American Citizens. We are very seriously considering moving to Canada and starting over, perhaps in Toronto, Halifax, or Prince Edward Island.

We don't have any visas at this point. If we moved and rented an apartment, would it be impossible to get a job without a visa?

I hope this question is not too naive.

Thanks,

JR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 06:20 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,759,000 times
If you entered Canada as visitors and just rented an apartment and decided to stay, then, yes, it would not be legally possible to work.

In order to legally work in Canada, you'll need either a work visa or Permanent Resident's status.

Why not visit the Canadian Government's Immigration web site and check out all the options available to you?

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 08-05-2007, 03:53 PM

23 posts, read 109,850 times
Default Get a job

Cornerguy1 it is no 100% true. If you someone moved here from the US without visa, yes you cannot get a job, however you can get a Work permit here, same way Canadians can get work visa in the US, it is valid for 1 year. You will need to apply for a new one every year.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 PM

Kirill

Please read again:

Quote:
In order to legally work in Canada, you'll need either a work visa or Permanent Resident's status.
The point is, that someone can not, (legally), simply drive across the border, set up housekeeping, and obtain employment. There are legal niceties and Citizenship and Immigration Canada regulations to abide by.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 AM

384 posts, read 1,710,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill View Post
Cornerguy1 it is no 100% true. If you someone moved here from the US without visa, yes you cannot get a job, however you can get a Work permit here, same way Canadians can get work visa in the US, it is valid for 1 year. You will need to apply for a new one every year.
How can one go about getting this work permit if they simply just move over to Canada from the USA? I want to move to Toronto or one of its suburbs, but am afraid that I may not be able to get a work visa without marrying someone there. I've reviewed the Canadian Embassy's website and found no information on Americans obtaining a work permit once in Canada.

Thanks,

Old 08-11-2007, 07:43 PM

All Canadian immigration falls under the auspices of Citzenship and Immigration Canada. There are numerous ways to legally enter Canada with the object of residing here and gaining employment.

Here is the link:

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 PM

82 posts, read 619,469 times
JR, if you're looking for a freash start in a Canada-esque environment...might I suggest Portland Oregon as a stepping stone?

My wife and I are Canucks, and we recently spent a week in Portland. Incredible city with a Canadian like feel to it. You'll find the economy pretty stable, and it would be an easier move then relocating to Canada off the bat. It sounds like you may need to do a bit more research if you're serious about moving to Canada, as the process takes a long time. Portland might be an easier alternative that you could do sooner rather than later. If, of course, you live in Portland now, please disregard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada