Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,283,932 times

Advertisements

We had a discussion about soccer briefly before in a Basketball thread which got quite a bit of interest. Which Canadian City is the best for a soccer fan? This would include a combination of:

- Soccer Bars for regular viewing.
- Soccer Bars for Large events and tournaments.
- Pick up games easily arranged for recreation.
- Elite recreational leagues.
- Support for local MLS Team.
- Attendance for Traveling European Teams for special events.

Personally I may lean towards Montreal, but I have no idea about the scene as far as playing and regular viewing is concerned. Toronto has some solid leagues with good competition, but it was always tough to find a regular pick up game on a weeknight or weekend for drop in. Toronto FC is well supported, but when Liverpool came to play TFC this past month, there were quite a few empty seats at the Rogers Centre.

If there are any Footy fans let me know what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:47 PM

984 posts, read 2,710,790 times
Alert, Nunavut

Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
Eesh, tough to say. I think people assume it's Montreal because they associate it with being "European", but truth is that soccer has only become popular fairly recently in Montreal, as it has in the rest of Canada, and it's still most popular with certain groups of immigrants. 40 years ago baseball was way more popular then soccer, but of course interest in soccer has really picked up and filled the void baseball left as it became less popular with newer generations. I'd say, however, that it's Toronto. Toronto has has had MLS for longer, they have more immigrants from soccer crazy countries, and they're just bigger. I wouldn't say however that Toronto is very much ahead Toronto and Montreal seem similar in terms of the popularity of soccer.

Vancouverites seem to like soccer to, but I don't think that city could be it.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,646 times
I would say it's definitely less popular here than in the US. Does it really matter where you watch the game? All you need really is a decent HDTV and cable, and suds...

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
I would say Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are all pretty close.

Montreal has had amazing crowds for friendlies, the U20 World Cup and Impact games at the Big O, but I find attendance at Saputo has been slightly disappointing this summer since they moved there. Their average is still excellent because of the big crowd or crowds at the Big O earlier in the season though.

Toronto has not used Rogers Centre as much for soccer so it's difficult to say how some of the big matches might have drawn had they been held there. Some of the friendlies at Rogers Centre featuring big European clubs have not drawn so well in recent years if I recall - anyway, crowds are often smaller than those in Montreal.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM

Did anyone get a chance to watch the US vs Canada Women's soccer match yesterday? Probably the best Women's match I have watched in my life.

Are you up in arms over the calls? Seems like the general consensus in Canada is that the girls were robbed.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
yes it was a robbery in my opinion, and instead of Fifa investigating what happened in the game they investigated the Canadian players comments...Stupid Fifa!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
yes it was a robbery in my opinion, and instead of Fifa investigating what happened in the game they investigated the Canadian players comments...Stupid Fifa!
Which call do you have issue with? The delay of game call was bizarre, but there was a warning issued. The handball was completely legitimate. It was the Canadian defenders fault for putting her arms up and not allowing the ball to hit her chest.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,875,080 times
I have an issue with the fact that a free kick was awarded in the penalty box for goalie time wasting. I'm a serious fan of the sport (watch European Soccer mainly) and I have seen time wasting done by players/GK I have never seen that level of punishment given..why not be normal and give the GK a yellow card that is what you do for time wasting after a warning, even though 6 seconds seems a bit harsh for a card..the free kick led to the penalty which led to a goal..so there you go

Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
I have an issue with the fact that a free kick was awarded in the penalty box for goalie time wasting. I'm a serious fan of the sport (watch European Soccer mainly) and I have seen time wasting done by players/GK I have never seen that level of punishment given..why not be normal and give the GK a yellow card that is what you do for time wasting after a warning, even though 6 seconds seems a bit harsh for a card..the free kick led to the penalty which led to a goal..so there you go
I completely agree about the time wasting call, it at most warranted a Yellow Card I think. But there is no reason why the defender should have extender her arm for protection during the indirect kick. That is a rookie mistake and you as a fan of the sport know this. So this blaming the ref completely is a bit much in my opinion. I played CB competitively for many Years at different levels and during a set piece from that close, every single Manager would yell "Keep your Fuc*ing" arms down. She has no one to blame but herself for drawing that handball.

Plus after the Penalty score, there were 10 mins remaining in regulation plus stoppage time. Then an addition 2 extra frames. More than enough opportunity to muster up enough courage to score a goal. The US Girls did, no excuse for Canada. Plus how on earth was Alex Morgan left so badly marked on her game winning goal?

I am not a supporter of either side for the record, but watching the match unbiased, this is the way I saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada