Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 02:53 PM

326 posts, read 813,532 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about immigrating here from the U.S ? Probably to Vancouver.... How's the climate, social life etc?

Last edited by tweetybird11208; 05-21-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Life in Canada is great!

Old 05-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Life in Canada is great!

that's awesome so can you tell me whats so great about it?how will i fit in? how hard will it be to make new friends? How's the night life? how's employment?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,110 times
some questions for you:

1. why do you want to move to canada
2. do you have a job lined up
3. whats your education level
4. you need to realize by moving to vancouver you are moving to one of the most expensive cities in the world
5. vancouver is absolutely horrible for jobs.
6. processing times for work permit applications can take up to 2 years, hope you've already got that ball rolling.

nightlife is ok. americans fit in easy. I moved from vancouver to seattle for job opportunities. Been away from canada for 2 years and have never once thought "Damn, I really miss Canada". if you want any more info just ask.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:40 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
I'm thinking about immigrating here from the U.S ? Probably to Vancouver.... How's the climate, social life etc?
My recommendation?

Rephrase your question as "what's it like living in Vancouver?" and post it in the Vancouver forum.

Otherwise your question's about as vague as "How is life in the US?"

Also, it helps to know a little bit about you, what you're interested in, what you're looking for in a city, what your lifestyle is, where you've lived in the past, what your values are, what you expect in a community, what activities you like to do, what industry you intend to work in, etc.

My questions to you:

- Where would you be moving from? What city?
- Why Vancouver? What do you know about Vancouver? Have you done any research on Vancouver? Your questions are pretty general and can be answered by simple Google searches. Come back here when you have specifics.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerode View Post
some questions for you:

1. why do you want to move to canada
2. do you have a job lined up
3. whats your education level
4. you need to realize by moving to vancouver you are moving to one of the most expensive cities in the world
5. vancouver is absolutely horrible for jobs.
6. processing times for work permit applications can take up to 2 years, hope you've already got that ball rolling.

nightlife is ok. americans fit in easy. I moved from vancouver to seattle for job opportunities. Been away from canada for 2 years and have never once thought "Damn, I really miss Canada". if you want any more info just ask.
1. I want a fresh start and it seems like all the U.S states are the same. I want to move some where its not hot and humid in the summer.
2. no, but still working on that
3. I'm currently in community college
4. Really I did not know that
5. why do you say that? I checked craigslist and they have plenty of openings. hopefully they are legit....
6. 2 yrs???? Why so long?

Do you think living in the u.s is better than Canada?

Old 05-21-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
My recommendation?

Rephrase your question as "what's it like living in Vancouver?" and post it in the Vancouver forum.

Otherwise your question's about as vague as "How is life in the US?"

Also, it helps to know a little bit about you, what you're interested in, what you're looking for in a city, what your lifestyle is, where you've lived in the past, what your values are, what you expect in a community, what activities you like to do, what industry you intend to work in, etc.

My questions to you:

- Where would you be moving from? What city?
- Why Vancouver? What do you know about Vancouver? Have you done any research on Vancouver? Your questions are pretty general and can be answered by simple Google searches. Come back here when you have specifics.
-I would be moving from ATL I hate it here! i hate the country, I hate the hot humid springs/summers, i hate that there isn't much opportunity here.
- Vancouver just seems like a really cool city, I've done some research & liked what I've seen.
i just want to know how hard of a transition it will be from living in the U.S

Old 05-21-2011, 08:56 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
British Columbia is B.C.---------Bring Cash, lots of it;
and we still don't know where you are and anything about you.
This city is a tough fit; get ready to rumble.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM

80 posts, read 302,904 times
Life quality in Canada is general quite good as a general conclusion.
Whether it is better or worse than in a typical American city, that depends on your own criteria and needs.

Canadian cities has less work culture than major American cities, which on one hand means your life is less stressful due to overwork and you have more time for your family and friends, and on the other means you have fewer opportunities to achieve your high professional aspiration (if you do) and you are most likely to make less money and everything costs more here.

As to whether, if you hate humidity and heat, I'd be glad to tell you none Canadian cities have these. All major Canadian cities have comfortable summers most of the time. (yes, people tend to complain about "humidity" in Toronto/Montreal, but that's simply because they have never lived in cities like Houston and Atlanta, it is like Los Angelenos complain 10C/50F is too cold. try not to laugh at them :P)

Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Don't let the naysayers get you down. I have two sons and a sister that live in Vancouver and it's just a fantastic place to live. Everyone will tell you how expensive Van is but it all depends on many things. My one son was a student for so many years while in Van and he had a very limited income. With this limited income he lived very well. He did all the things he liked, Skiing, fishing, camping in the mountains, etc. My other son is a Dr. and he really didn't live a whole lot different than the student. He had a much fancier house and car but when he's not working he likes to fish,ski and camp,LOL. You really should go for a trip to Vancouver and experience it first hand. I imaginr you are going to love it so much that you will hate going home to the hot south again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada