Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM

433 posts, read 1,375,178 times

Advertisements

Does it? If a job is nearly obsolete in one place, it seems like it's going strong in Quebec. Or is it mostly in the Montreal area? Or am I completely wrong about all of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,561,810 times
mq102 you'll have to explain a bit more as it sounds like you are saying Montreal has the best job opportunities in the world.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 AM

178 posts, read 525,545 times
I do think it's quite good in all fields if you are in fact of French Canadian nationality and speak both languages. Oh and also have a good opinion of Quebec also

Unfortunately that's not how things are

Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
mq102 you'll have to explain a bit more as it sounds like you are saying Montreal has the best job opportunities in the world.
I'm not sure, but here's an article from 2007:

Young anglophones leaving Quebec, say analysts - CTV News

This bolded part at the beginning kind of stands out for me:

Young anglophones are leaving Quebec and heading west, despite job opportunities in their own province, analysts say.

Does that mean the opportunities here are really good? But I guess alot can change in 4 years, so who knows if it still applies today?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM

65 posts, read 197,372 times
That (old) story implies that young angloquebecers are leaving Québec because their bilingualism and job skills are valued in other provinces where language and culture are not an issue in the labour market. It implies that while a fluently bilingual anglophone can certainly access any available job in Québec, there is a perception that opportunities for advancement are not the same for anglophones. If you're in Montreal, you can go to Youth Employment Services -YES (the employment counselling service mentioned in the news story) and they would be able to guide you with more recent stats on the market for anglophones.

Your recent posts seem to suggest that you're struggling with the job market in Québec. Is there any reason why you don't want to leave there, if only for a few years? You're young, this is your chance to explore options elsewhere. You can always go back home after you've got some experience under your belt.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM

That link is a bit dated but remains relevant,
Whether one wants to accept it or not being a bilingual Anglophone in quebec doesnt open as many doors in the job market as being a bilingual Francophone, i've watched dozens of my friends kids graduate from college and spend a long time here in Quebec unsuccessfully looking for a job in their chosen field, then to almost immediately land employment elsewhere in Canada when sending their cv's further afield. i Believe there's and underlying/unspoken bias in the job community of Quebec that will hire a Tremblay,Leveille Lapierre over a Smith, Rutherford or White,
Not saying this is the norm but it does happen often enough that many are leaving Quebec to find employment elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:48 AM

26,947 posts, read 38,318,969 times
Quote:
Whether one wants to accept it or not being a bilingual Anglophone in quebec doesnt open as many doors in the job market as being a bilingual Francophone, i've watched dozens of my friends kids graduate from college and spend a long time here in Quebec unsuccessfully looking for a job in their chosen field, then to almost immediately land employment elsewhere in Canada when sending their cv's further afield. i Believe there's and underlying/unspoken bias in the job community of Quebec that will hire a Tremblay,Leveille Lapierre over a Smith, Rutherford or White,
Not saying this is the norm but it does happen often enough that many are leaving Quebec to find employment elsewhere.
I wanted to chime in. I live and work in Quebec -have been here for quite a few years. I am a bilingual francophone originally from "English Canada". I write English... well, I write English like I write here on this forum. I guess I am not too bad. My written French is probably slightly better than my written English.

Here in Quebec, I have met many bilingual anglos in both workplace and social settings. Quite a few of them (though not all) speak French without almost no accent and when speaking can often pass for francophones.

But I will also say that I can count on my two hands the number of anglos I have known or know who can write French well enough to use it in a professional setting. Most of them I would not trust to write a letter or an e-mail in French to send to a client. (Most are aware of this shortcoming and would not even attempt it.) And in a professional office environment, you really need that skill.

Now, I do know people with English names like Steve Ryan or Margaret Smith who are for all intents and purposes francophones - of course THEY can write like francophones. If you live in Quebec, you know people like this as well.

But I am talking about true anglos, who have gone through the anglo school (often in immersion) and maybe McGill and Concordia. They can't write professional French to save their lives usually. Most of these people can certainly chit chat with the waiters in a restaurant in French, or understand the Têtes à Claques videos and laugh at the jokes, but could not write an online post like this in anything close to decent French.

So my assessment is that the anglo schools in Quebec have done a really good job in the past 25 years in improving the speaking and comprehension skills in French of young anglos. This appears to have been achieved. But perhaps they should focus more on written French because from my experience in the workplace this appears to be a skill that few Quebec anglos possess.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Is it mostly customer-interaction jobs with problems like this, or every kind of job?

Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM

The potential for being passed over for a job because you are English can permeate all aspects of employment.
its just one of those idiosyncrasies of Quebec that you'll probably never know if John Smith didnt get the job and the next applicant through the door gets the job because his name is Jean Guy Potvin..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada