Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 02:36 PM

326 posts, read 872,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Based on some years spent in the States, I have noticed that many American universities -- even the big fancy ones -- just barely have Toronto on their radars. McGill gets more play down here, mainly because it was a significantly more prestigious place way back when. In most countries, the university community tend to be pretty provincial, and America is no exception to the rule.

Admissions folks love "brand names", and those brand names for English-speaking universities outside of the States include LSE (not as good as North Americans presume it to be I have been told), Oxford, Cambridge and McGill. Sometimes foreigners will mention Toronto in the same breath, but in my experience, people outside of Canada are not always that familiar with its reputation for excellence. Are there excellent universities elsewhere in Canada, the UK, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa? You can be assured that there are. Some of them are every bit the equal of the best of the best anywhere.

The sad fact is, however, that lay prestige counts for a lot and its hard to shake the short list of incumbents to have lesser-known powerhouse schools mentioned in the same breath as Oxbridge, LSE, McGill, etc. It may not be fair, but that's what I've observed in my travels.
East Coast socialites will have more respect for McGill because it has long been popular among Eastern Seaboard students looking to study overseas, but still not too far from home.

You are absolutely correct about lay prestige. But I wasn't talking about lay prestige. My entire argument is related to academic prestige, and by any metric UofT is viewed as a top-caliber research institution. Same goes for UBC and in some fields McGill.

Medical and law school admissions are a little different because they are much more dependent on hard factors like GPA and MCAT/LSAT scores. But for doctoral programs focused on research, UofT is not an unknown name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,527,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barney_rubble View Post
East Coast socialites will have more respect for McGill because it has long been popular among Eastern Seaboard students looking to study overseas, but still not too far from home.

You are absolutely correct about lay prestige. But I wasn't talking about lay prestige. My entire argument is related to academic prestige, and by any metric UofT is viewed as a top-caliber research institution. Same goes for UBC and in some fields McGill.

Medical and law school admissions are a little different because they are much more dependent on hard factors like GPA and MCAT/LSAT scores. But for doctoral programs focused on research, UofT is not an unknown name.
Even admissions staff seem to be less than familiar with U of T's reputation for excellence. But McGill aside, they seem to be less than familiar with Canadian universities generally. Don't get me wrong, they don't seem to view Canadian schools negatively or anything like that. I just want to warn a young man that a degree from a school with which admissions officers are familiar might get him a little further than a degree from even a good Canadian university like Toronto.

I do also worry that young people like the original poster sometimes work themselves into lathers about things that may not bother them five or ten years later. If this is the case in this instance, then I think it would be a shame for him to leave his country for Canada if that is what is motivating him to look north of the border.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM

484 posts, read 1,287,330 times
I went to U of T for undergrad and went to the US for Graduate school, and had no problem getting admitted to my programs of choice. Admissions officers are more concern with your grades and if your degree is equivalent to a US degree than the actually school you went to.

There are hundred of thousands, possibly millions of international students in the US coming from all over Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. and I’m pretty sure that Admission Officers never heard of 90% of these university and yet it hasn’t hinder them.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:14 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,527,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I went to U of T for undergrad and went to the US for Graduate school, and had no problem getting admitted to my programs of choice. Admissions officers are more concern with your grades and if your degree is equivalent to a US degree than the actually school you went to.

There are hundred of thousands, possibly millions of international students in the US coming from all over Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. and I’m pretty sure that Admission Officers never heard of 90% of these university and yet it hasn’t hinder them.
OK, you're right then. OP, please ignore everything that I wrote. Average Fruit is obviously correct.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusednDetermined View Post
Just wondering roughly what would be the cheapest safe place to live in Canada for an 18 year old
As people with minimal means of support tend to move to the areas of town with the lowest rent i would think it rather tough to find "the cheapest safe place to live"seems to me you can have either one or the other.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:56 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,533,948 times
Or he could live in a cheap, safe place that isnt' a city. Cape Breton Island, for example, has a low cost of living, is safe, is home to unique local culture, and has enough people on it that you can buy what you need there.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,864,266 times
Or in the case of Ontario, a smaller city with a low cost of living like Windsor... or towns like Chatham-Kent, Cornwall, and Sarnia which all have low cost of living. Might get bored in those though... Windsor at least has more to see and do.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Those remoter areas could address the cheap and safe but the kid needs a job and he plans on going to UoT so he may not be in a position to relocate twice.. Move to Ottawa for the future UoT and think room mates to lower costs.eh..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada