Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM

16 posts, read 47,625 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a 28 year old female, single parent of one child and we reside in Ottawa, Ontario. I have lived here my whole life, I honestly don't like living in the city, the area is so flat and there is nothing much to see. We visited Nova Scotia last year and absolutely loved it. The people were so friendly, the ocean, the lifestyle, etc and are seriously considering on moving there. I just ended a 5 year relationship recently and would like a fresh start for my daughter and I. I can almost hear the ocean again....

I have one main concern- finding employment in NS. I am educated and experienced as an Administrative Assistant and in Customer service. Are there jobs in this field? Also, I have read alot of people are on welfare there is that true? What would be the best way of going about the move? We are not bringing any furniture just clothes.

Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 10:00 AM

161 posts, read 520,937 times
I am sure you could find a customer service or administrative job in Halifax, but you should be prepared to make less money than what you're making in Ottawa. And keep in mind that rent will probably be fairly comporable to rent in Ottawa, unless you choose to live outside of peninsular Halifax. Halifax is a really wonderful city, and it's so much more relaxed and friendly than Ontario, but you really have to determine whether or not you can be comfortable on a smaller budget than what you are probably used to.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:05 AM

16 posts, read 47,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coaster View Post
I am sure you could find a customer service or administrative job in Halifax, but you should be prepared to make less money than what you're making in Ottawa. And keep in mind that rent will probably be fairly comporable to rent in Ottawa, unless you choose to live outside of peninsular Halifax. Halifax is a really wonderful city, and it's so much more relaxed and friendly than Ontario, but you really have to determine whether or not you can be comfortable on a smaller budget than what you are probably used to.
Hi East Coaster,

Thanks for your reply. At this point I am making $35,000.00 a year and my rent is $1000.00 a month in Ottawa for a two bedroom apartment. I am used to budgeting, finding the "deals" and being careful with my money. I know when I do move to NS I will just get a one bedroom apartment..seen some for $600.00 in Halifax, I will sleep on a pullout couch and my daughter will have the bedroom. I am also prepared working for a company that does not pay $35,000.00 a year but maybe $10.00 an hour....

I understand all of this but just want to ensure I can find something in NS.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM

161 posts, read 520,937 times
First of all, rent is HIGH in peninsular Halifax, if that is where you want to live. You can certainly find less expensive places in Clayton Park, out by the Halifax Shopping Centre, suburban Dartmouth, bedford, and Sackville. Will you have a car? If you don't have a car, prepare yourself for a much-less-than awesome but certainly manageable bus ride. I mean, it can take two hours to get somewhere you could drive in fifteen. I would really suggest living closer to down-town or at least on a straight-forward bus route. Although I suppose you don't know where you'll be working!

There are a lot of affordable apartment complexes close to the Halifax shopping centre, and there are a whole lot of buses that leave from there - It has a major terminal, and it's about a 45 minute walk to down-town. Shopping and those kinds of amenities easily accessible. It's safe. It doesn't feel very neighbourhoody, though, pretty sterile looking. I wouldn't want to live there, but I'd consider it before I'd consider a lot of other places.

I live close to the Hydrostone, which is a neighbourhood in the north end. The Hydrostone itself is a pretty in-demand and lovely neighbourhood, though you can find more affordable apartments in surrounding neighbourhoods. It's about a 40 minute walk to down-down, direct buses, cute houses, a great park, friendly neighbours. My very small one-bedroom apartment is renting for $675, and that is a *steal.* Honestly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a one-bedroom for less than $800 is a more desireable neighbourhood, and for less than $750 in the neighbourhood I'm in. Some places in the north end are cheap, but that's usually because they're on particularly sketchy corners or in buildings with bedbug issues. I'd be glad to answer any questions about location if you find some place you're interested in. You might consider down-town Dartmouth, as well.

You will be able to find a job at Convergys or Minacs right away, I bet. they are two major call centres in Halifax and about half the people I know have worked at at least one of them for at least a short period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada