Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have always heard & seen Canadian citizens come into the US for 6 months at a time, without having to apply for a visa. By the same token, "supposedly" US citizens have been granted the same benefit.
Am I wrong??? These people have typically been called SNOWBIRDS!!

I know of a friend of mine, he was going to Canada (driving) for a 6 month stay (he was taking a sabbatical from his job), he was going to write, and be a tourist for about 6 months, visiting different places (something he had been dreaming about for a long time). However, when he wanted to enter Canada, he was asked, why so many suitcases, well he said he was staying for 6 months, when they searched his luggage they found letters, bills from his home in the US. He picked up a bunch of stuff at the last minute that he was planning on answering from Canada, because he did not have time to do it prior to leaving. So the Canadian officers gave him a 3 month pass??? They acted like if bringing with him personal items, like he was a criminal led the officers to believe that he was staying, or something, again if you are going somewhere for 6 months, I would think that you would have more than 1 suitcase. This guy is an upright citizen, no criminal background,good credit, a good all around guy!

Basically what I cannot understand, is if we as Americans offer Canadians the courtesy to be able to stay for 6 months without the hassle of filling paperwork for a visa, and its supposed to happen the other way around, you know what I mean???
So, WHY would they care if he had a briefcase with his bills, letters, and things that he was planning on taking care of from Canada.
So, could someone PLEASE tell me what is the LEGAL amount of stay that one can be in Canada without having to apply for a visa?
And is the courtesy that I described above, is that not the case anymore???
The above case was driving thru the border. What about if you are flying into Canada??

Thank you for claryfing this for me.
Take care,
COUNTRYLV22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Both Canadians and US citizens may enter the relevent country for a period of up to 6 months as a visitor.

However, neither is guaranteed entry to the others country.

Immigration officers, be they Canadian or US, are not bound by hard and fast rules when it comes to admitting foreign citizens into their respective countries. Officers are allowed a great deal of flexibility as far as who is admitted and for how long.

When entering a country as a visitor, it is presumed the individual will not work, has no intentions of staying permenently in the country, and will return to his country of residence within the alotted time.

To determine this, immigration officers take into account various bits of information like an individuals financial resources, their stated reason for wanting to enter the country, the presence of a pre-purchased return ticket, amount and type of luggage, etc. . If an immigration officer has doubts, they commonly place time restrictions on visitors, and, much less frequently, deny entry altogether.

This happens all the time, going both ways, over the Canada-US border.

I personally have had US Immigration officials place time restrictions on B1 and B2 visas for the US. At other times, immigration officials have merely said "Have a nice trip".

It really isn't an anti-American plot fomented by Canadian Border Services Agency.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:41 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
Thumbs up Hello Cornerguy1!!! Thankyou!

HELLO CORNERGUY1!!

Thank you for your response! I understand it a bit better now!
My THREAD was getting a bit lonely!

The thing that bothers me, is that if you call the Canadian or US EMBASSY, and ask them for a 6 month VISA, they say, "Oh you do not need one", and if you wanted to stay the full 6 months and be LEGAL about it, but then the immigration officer has the ability based on his intuition, to only let you stay 3 or 4 months, or even deny it, like you have stated
When you are driving, is when it seems to be a problem...
And by the way, if like SNOWBIRDS do all the time, they buy houses in the US as well as in Canada, & vice versa, years ago I used to hear of US citizens buying property in Canada (when the US $ was STRONGER), would the fact of buying property not give the idea that, you might want to stay??!!

Anyway, I realize that ever since 9-11, both sides have to be a bit more careful!! It just bothers me when innocent people that just wanted to stay the 6 months, get the "THIRD DEGREE"....

Thanks for your answer!
I appreciate it!
And I think CANADA is a GREAT country,with unbelievable scenary, but just to VISIT! (Hey, just in case an immigration afficer is reading, I do not want to get sent back when I go visit, HA HA HA HA!!)
Take good care,

COUNTRYLV22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Both Canadians and US citizens may enter the relevent country for a period of up to 6 months as a visitor.

However, neither is guaranteed entry to the others country.

Immigration officers, be they Canadian or US, are not bound by hard and fast rules when it comes to admitting foreign citizens into their respective countries. Officers are allowed a great deal of flexibility as far as who is admitted and for how long.

When entering a country as a visitor, it is presumed the individual will not work, has no intentions of staying permenently in the country, and will return to his country of residence within the alotted time.

To determine this, immigration officers take into account various bits of information like an individuals financial resources, their stated reason for wanting to enter the country, the presence of a pre-purchased return ticket, amount and type of luggage, etc. . If an immigration officer has doubts, they commonly place time restrictions on visitors, and, much less frequently, deny entry altogether.

This happens all the time, going both ways, over the Canada-US border.

I personally have had US Immigration officials place time restrictions on B1 and B2 visas for the US. At other times, immigration officials have merely said "Have a nice trip".

It really isn't an anti-American plot fomented by Canadian Border Services Agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada