Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 AM

18 posts, read 30,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I thought that he was likely asking the question for this reason, too.
I have no idea why he worded it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
WRONG - THEY SETTLED THERE - The discovered it - I guess they were in the wrong place for 200 +/- years. before moving over to Greenland. But before they left, they lived with and intermarried Inuit native population. So you can't positively say they aren't any descendants.
I know that the Vikings were there before the British, but that does not mean that they settled Newfoundland or that Newfoundlanders have Norse forefathers. Simply put, Newfoundland's European bloodlines are rooted in the British Isles and in France. And for what it is worth, it is possible that St. Brendan, an Irish monk, may have beaten the Vikings, John Cabot and Sir Humphrey Gilbert to Newfoundland by arriving there centuries before any of them. Anyway, I am not trying to pick a fight here; I am merely trying to correct any misapprehension that Newfoundlanders as a people have Norse genetic heritage.

The Beothuks, the Newfoundlanders that the Vikings would have met back then, died out in the 19th century. If anything, it seems that the Vikings may have taken a Beothuk woman or some Beothuk women back to Iceland like the spoils of war when they left Newfoundland for good, thereby introducing Beothuk DNA into Icelandic bloodlines.

And the Vikings were present in Newfoundland for around a decade according to one of these articles. From historical accounts that I read a long time ago, I thought that their travels to Newfoundland may have been over as many as two or three decades, but I think that the author of this article may have been focusing on how long the Vikings had a permanent encampment in Newfoundland. Anyway, this is just based on some accounts that I read a heck of a long time ago and some quick searches on the Internet today, so take it with a grain of salt.

Descendants of Newfoundland’s “extinct” Beothuk live on in Iceland « Nosey Parker

Vikings Introduce Native American DNA To Iceland | Historic Mysteries

Beothuk people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Genetic Genealogist | Beothuk DNA in Newfoundland

Last edited by maclock; 07-19-2011 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefhunter View Post
I have no idea why he worded it that way.
Nor do I, but word it that way he did.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM

93 posts, read 170,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Properly speaking the name New England (first used by John Smith in his expedition of Massachusetts) has precedence over all but Acadia doesn't it?
No they don't consider themselves part of New England. As a matter of fact, some Maritimers refer to all US citizens as Yankees regardless of where they're from in the US.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ditto. My family is Canadian, and we spent much time there.

I guess some Americans still haven't given up on their obsession that Canada really should be part of the U.S.

As an American, I can honestly say I've yet to meet a single fellow American that has ever expressed even the most faint desire to have Canada part of the US. To most Americans, Canada north of Toronto is an arctic barren land. Maybe you guys should give up your obsession with our beaches. I've never seen more Canadian plates than on Cape Cod, Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks, Florida, etc, etc. Shame you have no decent beaches.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
As an American, I can honestly say I've yet to meet a single fellow American that has ever expressed even the most faint desire to have Canada part of the US. To most Americans, Canada north of Toronto is an arctic barren land. Maybe you guys should give up your obsession with our beaches. I've never seen more Canadian plates than on Cape Cod, Myrtle Beach, Outer Banks, Florida, etc, etc. Shame you have no decent beaches.
I'm sensing an underlying animosity toward Canada in your post, why dont you tell us how you really feel about Canadians and all the money they bring down to spend in the USA.
The op's topic didnt indicate to me that it had anything to do with Americas desire to have Canada as part of the US which if put to a vote up here i doubt many Canadians would want to see Canada become part of the USA.
Also if you think Canada is arctic barren land north of Toronto you know even less about Canada as most of Canadas population lives north of Toronto and its only arctic like in winter.
As for beaches we have plenty.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-23-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm sensing an underlying animosity toward Canada in your post, why dont you tell us how you really feel about Canadians and all the money they bring down to spend in the USA.
The op's topic didnt indicate to me that it had anything to do with Americas desire to have Canada as part of the US which if put to a vote up here i doubt many Canadians would want to see Canada become part of the USA.
Also if you think Canada is arctic barren land north of Toronto you know even less about Canada as most of Canadas population lives north of Toronto and its only arctic like in winter.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that tom77falcon is taking the p1ss, jambo101, and he is trying only to get a rise out of some overly sensitive Canadians. If that was his intention, then he did a masterful job.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I could be mistaken, but I believe that tom77falcon is taking the p1ss, jambo101, and he is trying only to get a rise out of some overly sensitive Canadians. If that was his intention, then he did a masterful job.
Well i guess we'll see what tom77falcon is all about as the topic continues, i've invited him to tell us more about what he thinks about Canada,
so TOM lets here more of your views on Canada eh!

Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You're kidding right? I reply sarcastically to a somewhat overly sensitive sarcastic post from a Canadian claiming that Americans can't get over their desire to get their hands on Canada. I replied honestly. I know of not a single American that has ever uttered anything of the sort to me. I've been to Toronto twice and had a great time. I have no animosity towards Canada whatsoever. And yes, the beaches comment is called "taking the ****" as my friend from Liverpool would say.

It is also true that the vast majority of Canadians live very close within the US border, or the southern tier of Canada. Hence the comment about the boreal sub-arctic large swathes of Canada.

There was a previous thread that mentioned Canadians love to bad mouth Americans behind our backs, and I replied that I was never treated in a bad way at all while in Canada. I also think it rather rich that Canadians would indulge in such behaviour while at the same time flooding our resort beaches. Don't you think so?

Old 07-24-2011, 02:13 AM

Well ok then tom thanks for clearing that up eh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada