Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 PM

84 posts, read 301,286 times

Advertisements

I actually lived in Winnipeg for a month! Windsor has more of a small town feel than Winnipeg and Windsor is much easier to get around (the entire city is on a grid system and there's a cross-town expressway). Other differences are that there is less poverty in Windsor and while the winters are snowier than Winnipeg, they're much much warmer.

What makes Windsor interesting is that it has its own culture that is kind of a cross between Canadian and American. The media is dominated by Detroit tv, radio, sports, etc. People are more aligned with Michigan than they are with the rest of Ontario.

Downtown Detroit is safe as are all of the suburbs that surround the city. Just stay out of the residential neighbourhoods within Detroit's city limits. I go to see the Tigers and Red Wings play all the time, don't deprive yourself of things like that just because of what you've heard about the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM

10 posts, read 33,081 times
Windsor is, at least from a cultural perspective, almost more American than Canadian (I'm sure Americans living here would beg to differ.) The transit system is small, and works well in some areas, and horribly in others, it has a vibe similar to Hamilton, but not as run down, and a decent club scene, better than any similarly sized city I've ever been to. The reason I moved here was mainly cost of living, I grocery shop in Detroit, pay six and a half percent tax and less for the food itself, then bring it back duty free. Most of the advantages to living in Windsor are Detroit. The city has a really nice river front, an easy to navigate road system (old french grid system) and some new industry opening up (mostly energy production). Windsor also has a rather distinctive climate, it's a small patch of North American Tall Grass Savannah, it gets hot and humid in the summer, cool in the winter, and a bit of snow. The crime in Detroit is nothing to fear, I grew up here without a problem, moved away, and recently moved back for graduate studies, never had a problem here.

That being said, there isn't a whole lot to do here that involves being sober at night, a lot of things close rather early, so unless you like hanging out in a Tim Hortons or going to bed before 2am, there's not much to do.

Windsor is, despite the flamewar I'm about to start by saying this, a suburb of Detroit. Windsor does have an independent identity, but most of the cities urban development is because of Detroit, as such it has a kind of small town feel, but five minutes from downtown of a massive city (about the size of Toronto, but not as developed.) This can be a really convenient fact if you're willing to take advantage of it, and are not afraid to go to the D on a regular basis.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:09 AM

178 posts, read 522,047 times
Ive been to Windsor, and as much as I love the US (would live in Detroit in a heartbeat and would kill a baby for a US citizenship)

I cannot justify moving out of Toronto for Windsor. Windsor is just way too boring and too small of a city. Everything is cheaper than in the rest of Canada, and if it had about a million more people it would be the best place in Canada.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM

287 posts, read 1,007,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
I've lived in Winnipeg for 10 years so how does Windsor compare to Winnipeg?
Haven't you heard people calling Winnipeg "little Detroit"?
I too am fascinated with Detroit. Been meaning to make a proper visit for years. I've known people from Windsor, but they generally don't speak of it (or Detroit) too fondly.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 PM

84 posts, read 301,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDetroit View Post
Windsor is, despite the flamewar I'm about to start by saying this, a suburb of Detroit. Windsor does have an independent identity, but most of the cities urban development is because of Detroit, as such it has a kind of small town feel, but five minutes from downtown of a massive city (about the size of Toronto, but not as developed.) This can be a really convenient fact if you're willing to take advantage of it, and are not afraid to go to the D on a regular basis.
This doesn't fit the definition of a suburb. A suburb is a bedroom community where the majority of residents work in (and depend on) the nearby big city. This doesn't fit in the case of Windsor-Detroit. It's true that Detroit influenced the development of Windsor historically, however Windsor is a fully independent city with its own suburbs.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 PM

16 posts, read 60,751 times
Compared to Detroit yes.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:08 PM

311 posts, read 1,132,973 times
What about the business market in Windsor? I understand the economy is rough there and there aren't many jobs for people, but can someone live there and be fine by opening and owning there own business like a shop or restaurant? Or would it still be a better idea to do that across the border?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 12,682 times
Looking at possibly relocating to the Windsor area. How difficult is it to find family doctors and dentists taking on new patients?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 9,771 times
HI all, I also am moving to Windsor, I would like to know which area is nice to rent. I want water view, in an apartment. any ideas of where to look. i saw on the internet riverside drive and oulette street. are these places ok. thanks.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 PM

482 posts, read 2,411,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty870 View Post
This doesn't fit the definition of a suburb. A suburb is a bedroom community where the majority of residents work in (and depend on) the nearby big city. This doesn't fit in the case of Windsor-Detroit. It's true that Detroit influenced the development of Windsor historically, however Windsor is a fully independent city with its own suburbs.
Many people, thousands, commute from Windsor to Detroit for work everyday though... Back in the 90's it seemed 1/2 the city worked or went to school in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada