Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 PM
7 posts, read 38,975 times
Reputation: 19


Hi all,

I recently came to canada on a 3 years work permit, and I'd like to apply for permanent residency. My company mentionned that I can qualify under the Skilled Worker class.

My question is: if anyone has gone throught the same path, is is recommended to hire an attorney for this? I mean does it shorten the time to get the PR?

Many Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM
49 posts, read 547,079 times
Reputation: 126
Canadian immigration is very different from American immigration in the sense that you have to petition US authorities on why you have to be admitted into the US and even give examples of similar cases e.t.c . That is why one usually needs an attorney for US immigration.

On the other hand, Canadian immigration application forms are merely biographical in nature - with straight forward questions like your age, education level, where you have lived past 10 years. Unless you have money to burn, you do not need a lawyer to fill in such a straightforward form. CIC's website even has a calculator for calculating your points under the skilled immigrant category. If you meet the 67 point threshold and other conditions like lack of criminality/lack of chronic health issues then you qualify. Nothing to explain or petition.

CIC even categorically states that hiring a lawyer or agent will not speed up your application or give it any favourable treatment - so be weary of any immigration consultants or attorneys who tell you otherwise. The only way to hasten your processing time, if they are taking longer than reasonable, is to seek the intervention of your Member of Parliament.

While this is a good site to find out about cities (neighbourhoods, schools, job markets) you might want to visit a specialized immigration forum where you can find out about wait times from other similar applicants e.t.c . I am not sure if the Mods allow us to provide links for other forums, but a quick google search on canadian immigration forums should suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
26 posts, read 54,564 times
Reputation: 22
Hi, my family and I have lived in Waterloo, Ontario for 5 years and we started the application process for PR in April 2010. We still haven't gotten our PR status. We do use a lawyer through
the company my husband works for but am not sure if this would speed up the process. All in all,
it has been 1 year and 4 months and I believe we've turned every document in (incl lack of criminality plus a health exam) so all we have to do now is wait some more. Hopefully, it won't be long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 PM
4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Reputation: 4000
Citizenship and Immigration Canada takes great pains to point out that using a lawyer or immigration consultant will not get your application approved any quicker.

As mentioned above, the forms are pretty straight forward, so if you take your time and be sure to include all necessary information, a lawyer is merely an unnecessary expense.

The CIC web site lists current processing times, but each application is different in nature which may result in shorter or longer waits.

Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM
1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Reputation: 798
Just to recap C.I.C targets for 2011.

Federal Skilled Worker category
Effective 2011 July 1, and for the ensuing 12 months,
- a maximum of 10,000 of applications will be accepted for processing.
- 29 eligible occupations remain unchanged,
- but only 500 applications in each occupation will be considered for a permanent resident visa.
Instructions on which skilled worker applications are eligible for processing as of July 1, 2011

Provincial Nominee Program Skilled Worker category
- a target of 40,000 immigrants will be admitted in 2011.
Overview Calendar > Recap of Supporting Canada
Provincial Nominees (PNP) - How to Apply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
Reputation: 798
"The bottom line is that Canada still plans to hand out
- about 250,000 permanent resident visas and
- a more or less equal number of work permits and study permits in the next 12 months."
source: C.N. Immigration Agency - immigration to Canada from Israel - Changes to the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
7 posts, read 38,975 times
Reputation: 19
Thanks guys, useful tips...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 AM
1 posts, read 10,660 times
Reputation: 11
Post PR on process while work permit is on process for renewal

Hello guys, i just need some idea or suggestion about my issue.

I am currently in work permit and about to expired at the end of the month of august. I just applied for my permanent residence and its on process while my work permit is due to expired. I know that I have to renew my work permit as application is on process and work permit has to be valid during the process time. I was just wondering if the PR application will be fine while work permit renewal is on process too and not yet issued before the expiration date. It will affect the PR application processing time or its fine as long as the renewal of work permit is already on process before the expiration even its not issued yet before the expiration. Please nyone can help me answering or giving idea about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2014, 11:15 AM
1 posts, read 6,340 times
Reputation: 12
Dear Team,

I am would like to apply for 2 year work permit of canada, i am having offer letter and LMO from canada. But the visa is work permit for unskilled manpower.

What are the chances of getting PR after 2 year. can the visa extend after 2 year as work permit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Location: GTA
42 posts, read 154,740 times
Reputation: 43
For unskilled workers, there isn't any opportunity for PR through the federal programs.

But you may be eligible through one of the provincial nominee programs. So it depends on the province you are going to be working in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top