Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:57 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,399,163 times

Advertisements

I have searched heavily through CBSA's website and can't find specifics on this, and was wondering if anyone knows. My wife and I (US nationals) are planning a trip in September that will take us into BC for a few days. We've been up north many times, but not since she went on the insulin pump. She has to take several other medications as well: blood pressure, IBS, compensation for past head injury.

Our intent, of course, is to comply absolutely with all relevant Canadian law. We most definitely will not sell anything there, nor leave behind anything she does not use according to prescription.

Is anyone familiar with the rules, or does anyone happen to have a link detailing them? We want to avoid border headaches, of course, and the best way to do that is learn the rules in advance so one doesn't bring one's border headache with one. Much appreciate any guidance or direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,848,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I have searched heavily through CBSA's website and can't find specifics on this, and was wondering if anyone knows. My wife and I (US nationals) are planning a trip in September that will take us into BC for a few days. We've been up north many times, but not since she went on the insulin pump. She has to take several other medications as well: blood pressure, IBS, compensation for past head injury.

Our intent, of course, is to comply absolutely with all relevant Canadian law. We most definitely will not sell anything there, nor leave behind anything she does not use according to prescription.

Is anyone familiar with the rules, or does anyone happen to have a link detailing them? We want to avoid border headaches, of course, and the best way to do that is learn the rules in advance so one doesn't bring one's border headache with one. Much appreciate any guidance or direction.
You are right. Nothing is mentioned about it on their website. However, prescribed medication for personal consumption should not be a problem imho.
Customs - Information for Visitors to Canada

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM

Oh here you are.

Quote:
Drugs for Medical Use

Prescription drugs should be clearly identified and should be carried in the original packaging with a label that specifies both what they are and that they are being used under prescription.

It is also a good idea to bring a copy of your prescription and a contact number for your doctor.

Diabetics and others who have to bring syringes with them should also carry some evidence of their need for using these.

Canada Duty Free and Customs Restrictions

Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,007,509 times
I cross the border several times a year with all my diabetic paraphernalia and i've never been asked about it but all medications have the packaging the product came in with name and number of doctor and pharmacist.
Chances are extremely remote that the border guard is going to ask you if you have any diabetic medications and if so are they legal..
I dont think you have anything to worry about.,.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM

dougie86, thank you very much. It seems to me the best way is to have her prescribing physicians write brief letters explaining the needs for medication, as their letterhead will have their contact information. If we bring extra copies of the letters to give to the customs officers, hopefully that will make their lives easier (guaranteed in turn to make ours easier) and satisfy any questions. Years back I would not have worried, but in recent years border control has tightened on both sides. The letters will probably also have merit for getting back into our own country with less inquiries.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 PM

That's a brilliant idea. Hopefully, your physicians won't charge you for writing out explanatory note(s). My doctor charges $45 a piece for anything that has his signature on it.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
That's a brilliant idea. Hopefully, your physicians won't charge you for writing out explanatory note(s). My doctor charges $45 a piece for anything that has his signature on it.
If we get out of there for $45, I'll whoop and holler with joy, heh. We need to do it anyway. I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing we have backup. If I have non-refundable reservations, and I can't enter the country, I'll be out a lot more than that after all--and there's no court of appeals for denial of entry. Of course as ever, 90% of the game is don't be mouthy or arrogant, as with any law enforcement anywhere. I think common sense and good manners work wonders, but common sense and manners backed by good documentation are ideal.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,007,509 times
Isnt the doctor and pharmacists name on the eg; bottle of medication when you buy it? if so thats all you need,if the border people want to call them up that will be their choice.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Isnt the doctor and pharmacists name on the eg; bottle of medication when you buy it? if so thats all you need,if the border people want to call them up that will be their choice.
It is. But it's not on the insulin pump packets, necessarily. Some of her stuff comes mail order and in boxes and I'm not sure about individual labeling on each.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM

I covered my bases by writing to CBSA. Next day, a very helpful reply:

Quote:
As a visitor you are able to bring your personal prescription medication with you into Canada. These types of items should all be in their original packaging, with the prescription label issued by the dispensing pharmacy. The quantities you bring in should not exceed what would be required for the duration of your stay, up to a maximum of three months. The pharmacy label should include your name as well as the name of the prescribing physician. Should this information be missing, we strongly encourage you to get a copy of the prescription from your doctor.

Please be advised that the importation of medication is controlled under the provisions of Canada's Food and Drugs Act, which falls under the administrative responsibility of Health Canada, a federal government department. In order to determine whether or not certain medications may be imported into Canada, it is recommended that you contact the Health Canada regional operational centre listed below.

WESTERN OPERATIONAL CENTRE

Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate
4th Floor
4595 Canada Way
Burnaby BC V5G 1J9
Tel.: (604) 666-3704
Fax: (604) 666-3149
E-mail: insp_woc-coo@hc-sc.gc.ca

We trust that this information is helpful to you. Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
Thought I'd share the info in case others read the thread. Everything I could hope for--we will definitely get a full list and run it by Health Canada. Plus, printing out the email and bringing it is a good way to show intent of compliance, in case we goof up, or encounter a Customs officer who just got a ration from the last hopeful border-crosser and isn't in a good mood. People are people, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada