Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:56 AM

9 posts, read 23,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Tarp i dont think it would be in the best interests of the op's health to fumigate his mattress with pesticides then sleep on it..
But if it has to be done at least get a professional to do it..
I'm getting a hilarious comedy skit in my imagination of the op doing it himself..
Thanks for all the responses.

My mattress is not a super expensive one but have sentimental values. I have to agree with jambo101, even with a professional, since it has not been infested I do not want to sleep on a mattress that has been treated (cost aside). I think I will bring it along with me and let them decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
I am going to apply for permanent residency (I just bought a house in Canada so I am staying).
Buying the house before you get your legal residency paperwork finalized seems to be a bit premature,what if you dont get that permanent residency status..

Mattresses are quite abundant up here in Canada as a Craigslist search of Toronto shows..

toronto furniture - all classifieds "mattress" - craigslist

Old 08-11-2011, 02:29 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Buying the house before you get your legal residency paperwork finalized seems to be a bit premature,what if you dont get that permanent residency status..

Mattresses are quite abundant up here in Canada as a Craigslist search of Toronto shows..

toronto furniture - all classifieds "mattress" - craigslist

Canadian mattresses are built specially to fit in the igloos....

Old 08-12-2011, 02:14 PM

30 posts, read 138,368 times
I was in Canada from the US on a temporary work permit visa. I had my shipment company transport some mattresses with the rest of the belongings to Canada. I did not do any fumigation, and nobody asked me anything about it. I was aware of the rule, but did not know how to get that done.

Of course, it is one data point and does not prove that your experience will be the same. Just take it for what it is worth. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
The reason they are so strict.. NYC specifically has had a huge bed bug problem. They aren't taking any chances..
Canada has had a mattress ban for decades. Twenty years ago, I arrived at the border in a camper, and customs said I can't take the mattress into Canada, but immediately backed off if I promised to bring it back with me when I left.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:38 PM

746 posts, read 1,676,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
You know, some people have expensive mattresses. I have a three year old Serta california king sized plush firm mattress that cost me $1100. It's not so simple to "just throw it out and buy a new one in Canada." Why not also throw out your dining set, or television, or your Persian rugs?

not even gonna say it...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,334 times
Default Mattress Fumigation

I am moving next week and my Movers are saying that I need to fumigate mattress and have certificate else they will not allow mattress that can be taken to Canada. I am also on work permit so I am in same situation as yours. Please share your experience what you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limazita View Post
Hi,

I am starting to pack for my move to Canada. I run into problem with my mattress. It says on the cbsa website that mattresses need to be fumigated, and the cbsa officer over the phone says so too, but I found that there is an exemption for mattresses imported under tariff item Nos. 9806.00.00, 9807.00.00, 9808.00.00, 9809.00.00 or 9810.00.00

[url=http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d9/d9-1-7-doc-eng.html]USED OR SECOND-HAND MATTRESSES[/url]

I seem to fit the 9807.00.00, but I am currently on a work permit which expires in 36 months, so not exactly a settler yet although the officers has treated me like one over the phone. However, I am going to apply for permanent residency (I just bought a house in Canada so I am staying). Would you advise that my mattress need fumigation? (As a matter of fact there is no company in NYC that does that, they usually fumigate the whole house and I could not even get a quote for fumigating a single matterss). Please advise.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,256 times
Rent your own truck and take your mattress yourself?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:14 PM

47 posts, read 98,528 times
I'm wondering if there have been any changes to this rule since the last posts in 2012. I saw on a government website that it still says mattress fumigation is required. But my mover (in the US, who even called their agent in Canada) says they know of no such restriction.

I guess the bottom line is, should I pay the mover to bring our mattresses at the risk that customs will throw them out?

Thanks.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:13 PM

47 posts, read 98,528 times
Just to update: we brought our mattresses and no one asked about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada