Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:46 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Given the size of the Sikh population in Canada, I was actually thinking more in those terms. I also wondered about Metis in the Prairies. The main Canadian city I've recently experienced is Van, where there seems to be little segregation between the majority Chinese and the minority Anglo/Scottish/Ukrainian/etc. population.
The Métis are in a unique situation. While technically a métis is someone of mixed European and Native parentage, within the métis community, there is division between the Métis, capital M, descendants of French and native peoples and the métis who are descendants of any other European group and First Nations people. And then there are those Métis who believe that only Red River Métis qualify as Métis.

There are métis who identify more strongly with their aboriginal side, and there are no doubt métis who who emphasize their European side in order to avoid racism directed towards aboriginals.

Red River Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited to add I linked to an article specifically about the Metis people on Wikipedia but for some reason the link won't work so I deleted it.

Last edited by netwit; 09-05-2011 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: 1st link didn't work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,055,531 times
Calgary and Alberta

Old 09-15-2011, 09:13 PM

475 posts, read 814,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Calgary and Alberta

Really? Why would you say that.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The Métis are in a unique situation. While technically a métis is someone of mixed European and Native parentage, within the métis community, there is division between the Métis, capital M, descendants of French and native peoples and the métis who are descendants of any other European group and First Nations people. And then there are those Métis who believe that only Red River Métis qualify as Métis.

There are métis who identify more strongly with their aboriginal side, and there are no doubt métis who who emphasize their European side in order to avoid racism directed towards aboriginals.
Not surprising, I guess, when I think about it. There are always individuals within a group who have varying ideas about how big to pitch the tent. No reason to expect m/Métis to be any different in that regard, especially when the same word used as a proper noun or not a proper noun can apply. And of course, relating this to the topic of the thread, that might or might not create layers of segregation (if Métis and métis tended to be apart, and if both tended to be apart from the general Anglo/Scots/Ukrainian stock that seems most numerous in Anglophone Canada by and large). Thanks for helping me understand the division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada