Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:25 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,551 times

Advertisements

Actually I spent several hours downtown Toronto, I went to a restaurant there, can't remember the name, browsed the area on a friday night, there was a club which I believe was a gay club close to that main road. Was it King Street? Can't remember. But no I was not approached by any homeless people, even when I went to see Caribana I was not bothered at all by anyone. I do plan on making my next visit a more memorable visit and hopefully longer visit. I was disappointed that i did not get to visit Eaton Center or the CN tower, but next time. I rode the bus and subway system and though it was much cleaner than the New York City Subway system, it reminded me a lot of it. One thing I was disappointed in was that there was an old man with a cane, barely able to stand, and three young women sitting in the front seat on the crowded bus and not one of them offered him a seat. The man had to be in is seventies or eighties. I just enjoyed the feeling of serenity that I felt when I was there, which is one of the reasons why I absolutely adore Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 PM

8 posts, read 25,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1873
With my mind wide open I can't see the beauty in being homeless
.. Nope, it is not a beautiful thing. I've been there. I once was one of those folk with the hand stretched out (this was before good ol' Timmy's), unkempt and dirty, lost and resentful.
.. But, y'know what? It was good people like Jadel812 >>"You have to open your mind and see the beauty in everything...even if it appears ugly to you."<< who helped me to turn around and get myself grounded.

.. Heck, I don't see the beauty in going to a place like Algonquin Park, paddling my canoe to a secluded campsite, and finding garbage strewn all over the place. Grrrr!! So? I gather the garbage up and carry it out with me. I tell the park rangers to maybe work a bit harder to educate visitors about respecting nature or be more diligent in inspecting campers. I mention my experience to others to get them to think and be aware, to change. I try to be proactive.

.. Instead of reactive:
...where no less than fifteen homeless run up to your vehicle with a Tim Horton's cup in their hand begging you for money
I find it incredibly hard to believe you were not approached by a homeless person. Even if you did not get out of your car.

.. Toronto, like any other big city on this planet, has it's good and bad points. The www.cntower.ca, Smog - Toronto Public Health (http://www.toronto.ca/health/smog/smog_new.htm - broken link), the Toronto Zoo - Home, the homeless. Take the good, and do something about the bad - http://www.homelessness.on.ca/ (broken link) .

.. Hey! Welcome to Canada, Jadel812!! And to Toronto! On the flip side, there ain't nothing like NYC when it comes to having great city fun!!

Robb in Ottawa

Last edited by RoKuS; 09-12-2007 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: URLs not appearing as clickable links

Old 09-18-2007, 05:13 AM

3 posts, read 10,023 times
Do you have photos of vancouver ?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Default I'm Confused.

I am soooo confused [but then I am American and easily confused I guess] how did a thread about some nice Canadian Pics become a tirade about homelessness?

I agree...the pics were VERY nice and show some beautiful architecture.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:38 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,954 times
Canada's known for its beauty, for sure, but Toronto's sort of the antithesis of that, don't you think? It's like going to Ohio to see the wonders of the American landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada