Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times

Advertisements

This news broke a few months back, but the talks have started to heat up again since the new Jamaican PM has been sworn in. As a Jamaican, I do not like this at all and the general consensus in Jamaica is that the people are against selling our sovereignty to Canada to expand their military footprint.

Canada to set up base in Jamaica - News - Go-Jamaica

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...e.html?cmp=rss

What do people think about this move under the veil of "humanitarian aid"? My personal view is to say "NO" and if they want to invest in our country they should take steps to address the income disparities that Jamaican immigrants face in major Canadian cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 11:11 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
Ottawa is negotiating an arrangement with Jamaica to allow the Canadian military to stage out of the Caribbean island in the event of trouble -- or even natural disasters in the regions.

The two Commonwealth partners have been quietly developing closer ties, something that recently manifested itself with the deployment of three CH-146 Griffon helicopters to back up the Jamaican defence force.

"We have a great partnership in the region," said Lt.-Gen. Stuart Beare, who's in charge of Canada's overseas military force.

"Geographically, it's in a perfect spot."

He said the country's position -- centrally located in the Caribbean -- puts it at "an interesting cross-roads" in the region, which has suffered its share from disasters ranging from the 2010 earthquake in Haiti to repeated hurricane devastation.

The Defence Department has been quietly scouting locations around the world to establish staging bases, small-scale depots that can be quickly expanded to support operations should the need arise.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:18 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

What do people think about this move under the veil of "humanitarian aid"? My personal view is to say "NO" and if they want to invest in our country they should take steps to address the income disparities that Jamaican immigrants face in major Canadian cities.
I think maybe you should not look a potentially profitable and friendly gift horse in the mouth.

It could be much worse. It could be another less friendly and far more self-interested country that is NOT a member of the Commonwealth of Nations who is negotiating to set up a military base in Jamaica.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

It could be much worse. It could be another less friendly and far more self-interested country that is NOT a member of the Commonwealth of Nations who is negotiating to set up a military base in Jamaica.
Codespeak for the United States??

Old 10-30-2011, 08:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Codespeak for the United States??
I didn't say that. There are a lot of countries that are not Commonwealth members so you may infer what you wish.

I think if a foreign country is going to set up a military base in a Commonwealth country then it's better for everyone concerned if the foreign country is another Commonwealth member, preferably one that shares the same monarch. Jamaica and Canada both have the same monarch, namely Queen Elizabeth II.

Furthermore, the Jamaican Defense Force and the Canadian military forces are already closely aligned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica_Defence_Force

Quote:
The Jamaica Defence Force (JDF) is the combined military forces of Jamaica, consisting of an Army, Air Wing and Coast Guard. The JDF is based upon the British military model with organisation, training, weapons and traditions closely aligned with Commonwealth Realm countries. Once chosen officer candidates are sent to one of several British or Canadian basic officer courses depending upon which arm of service they are slated for. Enlisted soldiers are given basic training at JDF Training Depot Newcastle. As on the British model NCOs are given several levels of professional training as they rise up the ranks.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-30-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 AM

352 posts, read 1,003,693 times
I think Canada setting up a military base in Jamaica is good. Zoisite is right, Commonwealth Nations should work together. Unlike what happened with the United States of America and Grenada :P

Old 10-31-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I think maybe you should not look a potentially profitable and friendly gift horse in the mouth.
Profitable? I have no doubt that any relationship and agreement will be heavily tilted in Canada's favor. In Jamaica unfortunately our Government would sell our sovereignty for a sandwich and a side of fries, so trust me Canada would not be doing this unless they get the better of the agreement. They have never cared much for us in the past, so I don't buy the sudden gesture of good will.

Quote:
I think if a foreign country is going to set up a military base in a Commonwealth country then it's better for everyone concerned if the foreign country is another Commonwealth member, preferably one that shares the same monarch. Jamaica and Canada both have the same monarch, namely Queen Elizabeth II.
There are some major issues with that line of thinking. We may share a common Monarch, but that Monarch is despised in many influential circles in Jamaica.

Last visit made by "Her majesty" a decade ago was heavily protested and while some brainwashed Jamaicans applauded her visit, the majority of the country (especially the middle and upper class) has pushed to severe all ties with our former "Masters".

In addition the Queen did not even acknowledge our Prime Minister (PJ Patterson) at that time in her speech at Kings House and Mr. Patterson stood with his back to the Queen during most of her Speech in protest. Also the Queen while inviting members of the Rastafarian community to attend, ignored all requests for her to consider reparations for slavery and atrocities committed in the past.

Back on topic though, typically predominantly black countries like Jamaica that have a history of colonization do not quickly welcome other nations expanding their footprint in our country at our expense. So expect alot of protest if this goes on.

One last consideration. Over the past 5 years there have been aggressive steps taken in the waters surrounding Jamaica to prospect Oil. One of the leading companies involved in that prospecting was a major Canadian firm. I find it interesting that the Canadian government all of a sudden wants to set up a base after those prospects are turning positive from all reports. If we find a major source of Oil in our waters I want it to solely benefit the Jamaican people and that will only happen if we are free of all outside meddling in our affairs.

Quote:
Furthermore, the Jamaican Defense Force and the Canadian military forces are already closely aligned.
Jamaica Defence Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The JDF is closely aligned with Canada, but they are also closely aligned with the United States. So that should not be a reason to welcome them in with open arms. Whether we are a part of the Commonwealth or not, we should put up a large Not Welcome Sign if this agreement is signed. Same way we would not welcome the USA if they attempted the same.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
...One last consideration. Over the past 5 years there have been aggressive steps taken in the waters surrounding Jamaica to prospect Oil. One of the leading companies involved in that prospecting was a major Canadian firm. I find it interesting that the Canadian government all of a sudden wants to set up a base after those prospects are turning positive from all reports.....
Question regarding this - if Canada does get a base, does the base essentially become "Canadian soil" and if so, would that affect drilling and fishing rights?

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Question regarding this - if Canada does get a base, does the base essentially become "Canadian soil" and if so, would that affect drilling and fishing rights?
Great question Sunshine, but it cannot be answered until we see the Status of Forces agreement. It really depends on what the Canadian and Jamaican government agree upon before hand. If I had to guess though, Canada most likely would not agree to this unless it was considered "Canadian Soil"

As far as Drilling and Fishing rights are concerned, the Base itself (no matter what the agreement) would not directly give Canada any added access to to those resources. The major concern is the Political Influence that comes along with hosting a foreign nations military on your Soil. Just look at the example of the US and Kuwait and the added political influence over Kuwaiti Oil....much to the United States benefit.

Just to clarify though my concern is not completely fed by distrust of the Canadian government (only to a certain extent) but also not trusting the Jamaican government to negotiate an agreement that is to our benefit. The history of corruption and incompetence is a major reason for concern.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I think Canada setting up a military base in Jamaica is good. Zoisite is right, Commonwealth Nations should work together. Unlike what happened with the United States of America and Grenada :P
I have no problem at all working with the Canadian government, we should remain friends, allies and trade partners. That does not have to include a Military base on our Soil though.

Would Canadians welcome a US military base on their soil with open arms? I have a hard time believing that, so us feeling the same way about a more powerful nation expanding their footprint on our land is understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada