Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM

15 posts, read 23,511 times

Advertisements

We are going to try to get a work prmit and eventually a PR. We will obviously need private health insurance for a while. What will the costs be like? We are a family of 5 that is healthy with 3 kids 5 and under.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 02:14 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymountain View Post
We are going to try to get a work prmit and eventually a PR. We will obviously need private health insurance for a while. What will the costs be like? We are a family of 5 that is healthy with 3 kids 5 and under.
Why will you need private health insurance? I believe, with a working permit, you'll be eligible for the regular provincial / government run health insurance like every Canadian.

As far as I know, in some provinces, you may only need private health insurance for the first 90 days after arriving in Canada. In other provinces, you'll be covered on the first day you arrive.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Why will you need private health insurance? I believe, with a working permit, you'll be eligible for the regular provincial / government run health insurance like every Canadian.

As far as I know, in some provinces, you may only need private health insurance for the first 90 days after arriving in Canada. In other provinces, you'll be covered on the first day you arrive.
True and false. At least in Ontario, those with a temporary work permit are eligible.
http://health.gov.on.ca/english/publ...n_workers.html

But:
You have to be employed full time for 6 months before eligible. The 90 day rule is only for citizens/PR. Not sure how it works in other provinces but its easy enough to google.

As for private cover, do a google and get an online quote, thats how I got my blue cross policy years back. It was not really that expensive, if I recall.
http://www.useblue.com/assurance-san...on/etape1.html

Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,214 times
Minibrings, thanks for correcting me.

It sounds strange to me that people who move to Canada with their families with a working permit are not eligible for 6 months and have to buy a private health insurance. Even in the US where there is no universal health care, you would at least be insured by your employer.

Are you saying, with a working permit in Canada neither Canadian government nor your employer take care of you and your family for the whole 6 months? In a country where everybody else is insured?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 11-29-2011 at 05:45 PM..

Old 11-29-2011, 09:56 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,860,159 times
You're both correct, as
minibrings refers to OHIP (Ontario) - 6 months' wait
movingwiththewind, BC MSP - there is a 3 months wait

Quote:
Health Care

For you to qualify for coverage with BC’s medical plan, your Work Permit must be valid for six or more months. As a new resident to BC, you will receive health coverage only after you have completed a waiting period. The wait period is calculated as the balance of the month in which you became a BC resident, plus two months. For example, if you became a BC resident on September 10th, 2009, you would be eligible for medical coverage on December 1, 2009. If your Work Permit limits you to a certain employer, that employer must make sure you have health insurance when you arrive in BC.

http://www.welcomebc.ca/wbc/immigrat...%20%20%20#care
Individual Extended Health Insurance for Immigrants and other persons waiting for Provincial coverage (* CLHIA Member)

Contact insurers that can provide private medical insurance, for a fee, until your provincial health insurance comes into effect.

You must contact the insurance companies within five (5) days at the latest upon arrival to Canada to apply for the insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada