Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 PM

352 posts, read 1,004,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
*Snickers*
I second that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:39 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,525,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
I second that
That was some genuinely good work by Habfanman. It made me laugh. There's a great deal of truth in what he wrote.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfanman View Post
The Canadian dream

Wake up, drive to your job at a Canadian subsidiary of an American company in your Canadian assembled, American car. Follow instructions of company HQ in America with a lunch break at Starbucks, Subway or MacDonald's. Leave work, stop off and pick up a few things at Wal Mart, Home Depot or Bed Bath and Beyond. Head back to your suburb which could be mistaken for any American suburb, picking up pizza at Pizza Hut or Dominos or maybe chicken from Popeye's or Church's (Patriots will stop at Boston Pizza because they're Canadian). Eat dinner and settle down for a few hours of American TV or order up the latest Hollywood blockbuster on Netflix while enjoying a bottle of Bud, Coors Light or PBR. Before bed, go online to listen to American music streaming site while scanning for news of our new, American style justice system or the latest cost overruns on our order of American F 35 fighters. Buy theatre tickets to see Chicago or Jersey Boys on the weekend. Email friends regarding this year's Superbowl party. Go to bed and dream of upcoming vacation in California or Florida while making a note to put Canadian flags on every single piece of luggage. After all, as a smug Canadian, you wouldn't want to be mistaken for an American would you?
Good points all Habsfan however its Kinda hard not to have many similarities when you live next door to America.However there is enough of a difference to me that i'd rather remain Canadian if it came down to a choice between the two.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 AM

328 posts, read 997,153 times
Quote:
The Canadian dream

Wake up, drive to your job at a Canadian subsidiary of an American company in your Canadian assembled, American car. Follow instructions of company HQ in America with a lunch break at Starbucks, Subway or MacDonald's. Leave work, stop off and pick up a few things at Wal Mart, Home Depot or Bed Bath and Beyond. Head back to your suburb which could be mistaken for any American suburb, picking up pizza at Pizza Hut or Dominos or maybe chicken from Popeye's or Church's (Patriots will stop at Boston Pizza because they're Canadian). Eat dinner and settle down for a few hours of American TV or order up the latest Hollywood blockbuster on Netflix while enjoying a bottle of Bud, Coors Light or PBR. Before bed, go online to listen to American music streaming site while scanning for news of our new, American style justice system or the latest cost overruns on our order of American F 35 fighters. Buy theatre tickets to see Chicago or Jersey Boys on the weekend. Email friends regarding this year's Superbowl party. Go to bed and dream of upcoming vacation in California or Florida while making a note to put Canadian flags on every single piece of luggage. After all, as a smug Canadian, you wouldn't want to be mistaken for an American would you?
You forgot to mention Tim Horton's. I am sure it is involved in the Canadian Dream in some way.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:41 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Re Habfanman's personal dream - not for me: When I lived in Canada I worked for a Canadian owned company, drove a Honda, brewed my own coffee. Never heard of Popeyes or Church's - but I don't eat fast food anyways so it's a moot point. Watched a lot of American television but an equal amount of Canadian and British as well. Even liked a few Oz shows. Drank Moose Green or Keith's for beer, with the occasional bottle of French wine thrown in. Don't listen to the radio - prefer the Hip, Blue Rodeo, Leonard Cohen, U2 or Elton John on the CD player. Rarely watch the news as it's too depressing I'd rather live in my happy bubble of obivion. When I did it was local or BBC world news. And no to all of the rest of it as well - prefer Dominican or Mexico for vacation, or camping and hiking in the national parks.

All of that drivel aside - is that a "dream"? Or a lifestyle? I think it's a lifestyle.

This Canadian's dream?
Raise healthy happy well-adjusted children - check!
Earn a decent living so that I can enjoy my free time and travel a bit. Check!
Stay healthy to enjoy my retirement somewhere inexpensive with decent weather where I can garden most of the year, swim in the ocean, sit on the deck in the morning with a nice cup of coffee gazing at something scenic . . . . a beer fridge in the garage would be nice! Hopefully check!

That'll do me.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Never heard of the phrase.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
You forgot to mention Tim Horton's. I am sure it is involved in the Canadian Dream in some way.
Selling crap coffee mostly.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:27 AM

304 posts, read 1,425,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
Miserable cups of industrial swill..

Old 12-08-2011, 12:27 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Yep! I always called it swill as well - it's pretty tasteless!! I just don't get why so many people think it's great coffee. It's not even drinkable. Maybe it's because I am used to making my own with an espresso machine.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM

328 posts, read 997,153 times
Quote:

I wish I had a Tim Horton's close by but I have to settle for Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada