Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Yellowknife 2 28.57%
Whitehorse 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 PM

134 posts, read 561,183 times

Advertisements

What city would be a better place to visit for three or four days? I like to do a little bit of everything, so that includes tourist attractions, natural beauty, hiking, fishing, and nightlife. In the long run I'll probably visit both anyway, but I'm trying to plan a trip to one for this year.

Also let me say that as an American, I absolutely love Canada and its people, a very beautiful and welcoming country. I plan to visit all 10 provinces and the 3 territories in my lifetime. So far I have been to places and cities all throughout Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, and Nunavut. I enjoyed all them in there own ways and can't wait to add either Nortwest Territories or Yukon Territory to my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 11:13 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,930,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister brewski View Post
What city would be a better place to visit for three or four days? I like to do a little bit of everything, so that includes tourist attractions, natural beauty, hiking, fishing, and nightlife. In the long run I'll probably visit both anyway, but I'm trying to plan a trip to one for this year.

Also let me say that as an American, I absolutely love Canada and its people, a very beautiful and welcoming country. I plan to visit all 10 provinces and the 3 territories in my lifetime. So far I have been to places and cities all throughout Alberta, British Columbia, Ontario, Quebec, and Nunavut. I enjoyed all them in there own ways and can't wait to add either Nortwest Territories or Yukon Territory to my list.
That's a fairly tough choice. For touristy type things, I'd probably advise Whitehorse (with a continuation on to Dawson City, if you've got the time)

Scenery-wise, they're both beautiful, though Whitehorse is mountainous, if that's any consideration. On the other hand, Yellowknife's on Great Slave Lake, and if you go in the winter, they hold dances and other such things out on the ice (if memory serves, there was some type of ice castle when I was there last).

Old 12-10-2011, 08:38 PM

324 posts, read 710,589 times
I was born just outside Yellowknife, return there from time to time to visit relatives. If you believe the Ice Road Truckers series and it's weather - that's a bunch of krap. Fishing on the Gr Slave is slightly better than on Kluane, but you can't just launch a boat there, like you can here.

Me, the wife and two of my five granddaughters now live near Whitehorse, which is pretty nice at least for us. Done the tourist thing when I was younger and it doesn't hold the same attraction anymore. I should mention I worked in the oil patch for 40 years in the US, Mexico and Africa. This is now home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada