Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 AM

3 posts, read 25,132 times

Advertisements

I know its time consuming and cost money. Is it possible to do without the assistance of an immigration attorney? Would it be worth the time and trouble? thanks for any reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 01:08 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Is it possible to do without the assistance of an immigration attorney? Would it be worth the time and trouble?
Absolutely it's possible without the assistence of an attorney.

The PR process isn't terribly challenging from an intellectual level, but there are a lot of forms which need to be filled out correctly. A person who is willing to put the time into meticulous, detail-oriented work shouldn't have any trouble.

If all else fails, Citizenship and Immigration Canada operates a 1-800 number that can be used to find the answers to those unique question which aren't clearly answered on the web site or in the forms package.

Is it worth it? Depends how much time and money you have, I suppose.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 25,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Absolutely it's possible without the assistence of an attorney.

The PR process isn't terribly challenging from an intellectual level, but there are a lot of forms which need to be filled out correctly. A person who is willing to put the time into meticulous, detail-oriented work shouldn't have any trouble.

If all else fails, Citizenship and Immigration Canada operates a 1-800 number that can be used to find the answers to those unique question which aren't clearly answered on the web site or in the forms package.

Is it worth it? Depends how much time and money you have, I suppose.
Thank you for your reply.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,751 times
I've found it very straightforward. All the forms and detailed instructions are on the CIC website. Welcome Page | Page d'accueil

If you've moved around a lot (different countries) it might be a bit tedious to get police clearance from overseas. That is probably what took me longest to get. Other than that, it doesn't take much more effort than it does to apply to college, and I wouldn't hire a lawyer to help me do that...

Old 12-19-2007, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,881 times
Hey guys ... this thread is very relevant to me ... on H-1b in US .. and applying for a canadian PR ..
I have gone through some of the stuff on CIC site, but still have doubts
- Police clearance from my home country ... can I get it from my country's consulate here in US itself?
- sending all docs + passport to canadian consulate in buffalo ? for more than a year while processing takes place ? that will keep me stuck in US with no passport for that long !
- any other posts / sites / blogs with time-line or tips or faqs on doing the canadian PR by yourself

Appreciate your time n response

Old 12-19-2007, 06:38 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Citizenship and Immigration Canada usually means what it says on its application forms.

If the requirement is to end your original documents, then that's part of the deal.

For criminal record checks, you need to submit your fingerprints to the appropriate police agencies in your country(s) of residence and then include the clearences with your application.

If it's not convenient for you to make your application while in the US, then perhaps you should wait until you're back in country of citizenship before making application.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 PM

21 posts, read 121,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsmsm View Post
Hey guys ... this thread is very relevant to me ... on H-1b in US .. and applying for a canadian PR ..
I have gone through some of the stuff on CIC site, but still have doubts
- Police clearance from my home country ... can I get it from my country's consulate here in US itself?
- sending all docs + passport to canadian consulate in buffalo ? for more than a year while processing takes place ? that will keep me stuck in US with no passport for that long !
- any other posts / sites / blogs with time-line or tips or faqs on doing the canadian PR by yourself

Appreciate your time n response
Ok my advice to you. Yes you can contact your country's consulate and they can request the police clearance for you. It is more time consuming though and if you can afford a quick trip home to get original documentation it will be much quicker. Remember you need original documentation for everything
You do not need to send your passport until you have received the visa - check out that requirement. I am positive that its only after you have been approved that you send the passport - unless something has changed recently.
Time lines are available on the CIC website, for buffalo look at around 6-11 months I think.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM

180 posts, read 565,952 times
I am a bit confused about the immigration process. First, my background: I'll be graduating in June 2008 with a Bachelor's in chemical engineering w/ 1.5 years professional experience through internships. This makes me a skilled worker, correct? Though I'm low on funds now due to school, I have a job where it will be easy to accumulate more than the minimum 12,000 necessary for my partner and I prior to moving. In fact, within 4 months I should be able to save that much.

Now for the confusing part. Why wouldn't someone just apply for a Temporary Work Permit (which takes a few days), get in and start working while awaiting the Permanent Residence Card? The in-Canada processing times (for Perm. card) are much shorter than the out-of-Canada processing times, so this seems like a way to reduce the waiting time. I must be missing a rule...

In case anyone else sees this, the processing time for permanent residence for skilled workers is about 7 - 22 months for out-of-Canada applicants (through Buffalo).

ps. I'm planning on the Vancouver/Victoria areas if I definitely emigrate. Does anyone know what engineering is like towards those areas? I imagine there is a good bit of growth due to the 2010 games in Vancouver.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I don't think there is a lot available in your field in Victoria, but you can check out jobs in BC and Canada here.

Job Bank - Search

Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 AM

21 posts, read 121,742 times
I think you are talking about the TN visa is that it, as an American - I assume from your location coming across the border that is the option available.
For a work permit, your employer has to have the clearance that no Canadian can do the job, and that they have posted it etc etc before the permit is issued to you.
Tn visa is a good option then applying here in Canada for PR.
Also with chem eng my advice would be to look in the manufacturing plants in Montreal and/ or small town Alberta.
Check out eluta.ca and workopolis.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada