Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Lcj Lcj started this thread

11 posts, read 17,803 times

Advertisements

Just recently Buffalo has suffered some very serious cuts to their police force,roads,bridges and every other service that effects people very deeply.
I suspect we are about to see a shift of Americans coming to terms [read swallow pride] to the fact that Canada is the place you want to be.

Should we be concerned about this shift?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,058,852 times
Sorry to hear about the cuts, hopefully they will be able to weather the storm and it will be only temporary...but on the plus side, we do realize this. HSBC arena is always sold out whenever the Leafs are in town.

(Leafs tickets are expensive here)

Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,255,644 times
Every country goes through hard times (okay, maybe not some of the rich Arab countries) but people weather through the storms, tighten the belts, make do on less, and sometimes even band tighter together when things get tough. I wouldn't be concerned about an influx.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,483,069 times
I think what we're going to see, with our higher dollar, is that some dual citizens and skilled professionals might end up in Canada if they need to look for work. For the most part, though, it's going to be an internal migration. Not all of America is in as bad shape as Buffalo and Detroit. North Dakota, for example, has a similar unemployment rate as Alberta, so maybe we'll see a death spiral in some of these bankrupt places and folks will move somewhere else they can find a job without having to go through the very inconvenient process of trying to emigrate.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,957,491 times
There will always be many americans who will think America is the place to be. And last I checked for every 1 American moving to Canada there are 4 Canadian moving to the US.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM

92,275 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcj View Post
Just recently Buffalo has suffered some very serious cuts to their police force,roads,bridges and every other service that effects people very deeply.
I suspect we are about to see a shift of Americans coming to terms [read swallow pride] to the fact that Canada is the place you want to be.

When did all of these cuts occur, as I haven't seen anything about this on the Buffalo forum?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM

2,887 posts, read 5,113,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcj View Post

It's a long-standing problem with many US cities. A larger proportion of those services have to be paid for through the municipality's property/school taxes, where in Canada the provincial government would foot most of the bill. As a result, wealthier suburbs have world-class services while central cities, having to work with a relatively much smaller tax base, get peanuts.

That system may or may not change, but if it does I strongly doubt Americans will credit Canada for anything (seeing how "Mitt Romney can speak French" is a big insult in one of Gingrich's latest ads). To be fair, for whatever problem we can solve here, we're unlikely to ever credit the US for implementing the solution first.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:17 AM

981 posts, read 2,700,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
When did all of these cuts occur, as I haven't seen anything about this on the Buffalo forum?
I have the same question. Nothing about this on the Buffalo news either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada