Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,866 times

Advertisements

I'm an American with a very odd case..without going into detail my career path requires an absolutly clean criminal record (though I am legal to drink I do not partake to avoid dangers) and a few months ago I was attacked in my sleep by my (now former) roommate..whose dad happens to be former FBI and currently the prosecutor in the area I live (he isn't prosecuting this case)

Anyway I am going to win the case (the "kid" had it falsified to make me seem like the aggressor even though the responding officer noted that it was in my bedroom while I was sleeping) but I was arrested because of it and alot of other bull****, and while after it is all taken care of my formal record will be clean it falls under...it is still possible to find "dirt" because of this if you know where to look and who to ask (Just assume the people who would be looking at my life are all seeing and can see every moment of every day..its easier than explaining it)

So my question..could I obtain refugee status to canada because of this? (This isn't some crazy conspiracy or anything my professional life in America may be over)

Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,298 times
No.
Canada no longer accepts. thank goodness, any refugees from the US and you will be turned back at the border.
Many Canadians don't realize that the number one source of refugees use to be from the US. Very few were Americans but rather people who tried for refugee status in the states and refused and then came north to our easier system to give it another try.
Refugee status is for those who are fleeing political persucusion which will result in imminent risk of health or well being. It is for people who live in nations where they are under threat of persecution but have poor/corrupted legal systems and do not abide by standard UN Geneva Convention on Human Rights.
In other words you are basically fleeing for your life with no legal protection or fair due process of law.
People coming from the US cannot even apply little alone the fact they would be denied.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,866 times
you are demonizing me..the American intelligence agencies may attack me just out of the "thin blue line" ideal that law enforcement follows

Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
American citizens cannot apply for refugee status in Canada and Canadian citizens cannot apply for refugee status in America.

Agreements: Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement

Amendments: Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement

If you meet all the necessary qualifications and have no criminal record you might be able to apply for citizenship through ordinary immigration procedures.

Immigrating to Canada

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-21-2012 at 12:12 AM..

Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMusthide View Post
you are demonizing me..the American intelligence agencies may attack me just out of the "thin blue line" ideal that law enforcement follows
You aren't being demonized. You're just being told what the policy is. Whether it is fair or not in your case is irrelevant; what's relevant is an answer to your question, which it seems you are receiving from an informed source. Gratitude would be in order.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:14 AM

133 posts, read 219,668 times
C'mon Canada. Just do us this 1 favor and please take this person.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:40 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
C'mon Canada. Just do us this 1 favor and please take this person.
It's not up to me, it's up to the officials and it's a strict policy. You should see some of the cases that get turned back, they're more heinous than this, I assure you, I've felt awful seeing how some of the Mexicans fleeing the drug cartels were sent back into their clutches. I'd let the OP in if I could, but it's not me deciding.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:49 AM

378 posts, read 707,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It's not up to me, it's up to the officials and it's a strict policy. You should see some of the cases that get turned back, they're more heinous than this, I assure you, I've felt awful seeing how some of the Mexicans fleeing the drug cartels were sent back into their clutches. I'd let the OP in if I could, but it's not me deciding.
Pretty sure you missed the point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMusthide View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada