Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times

Advertisements

I believe that in general, Canadians are more open/ adventurous to eating ethnic or unusal food than Americans. The mainstream grocery stores in Canada tend to stock a wide range of "international" products...and it is surprising to me having visited some of the outlying or smaller or middle-of-knowhere places (like Calgary or Halifax), that people of all groups seemed very open to eating Vietnamese or Moroccan food (more likely than the US counterpart city)

Outside of NE and CA big cities, Americans to me are generally truly conservative in eating choices..of course you can find sashimi or pho across the country, but if they think that they're embracing "ethnic foods"- well the immersion (outside NYC/ LA/ SF/ DC) is generally not as great as in Canada or the UK or likely Australia

oh and I dont think Canadians complain the same way Americans do, when they visit international countries and "cant find the food they're used to"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
The reason why there are so many international foods available in Canada is because it's in demand by so many Canadians from so many more different ethnic origins than what there are in America and of course international trade caters to the demand. This affords greater opportunities for all Canadians of all ethnicities to be as adventurous as they wish to avail themselves of all ethnic foods from all over the world.

By Canadian standards, certainly at least in the larger cities and towns, there are no unusual foods in Canada, it is all common fare. That may be the reason why, when Canadians are travelling, they would have no reason to complain about not being able to find food that they're accustomed to because they are already familiar with just about everything that would be common fare in other countries.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
Mayonnaise...on EVERYTHING.

j/k. I've been to Toronto and the Thai and Curry is on par with anything I get in NYC.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:27 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I believe that in general, Canadians are more open/ adventurous to eating ethnic or unusal food than Americans. The mainstream grocery stores in Canada tend to stock a wide range of "international" products...and it is surprising to me having visited some of the outlying or smaller or middle-of-knowhere places (like Calgary or Halifax), that people of all groups seemed very open to eating Vietnamese or Moroccan food (more likely than the US counterpart city)

Outside of NE and CA big cities, Americans to me are generally truly conservative in eating choices..of course you can find sashimi or pho across the country, but if they think that they're embracing "ethnic foods"- well the immersion (outside NYC/ LA/ SF/ DC) is generally not as great as in Canada or the UK or likely Australia

oh and I dont think Canadians complain the same way Americans do, when they visit international countries and "cant find the food they're used to"
It's really just exposure and familiarity to a larger % of people. We have more foreign born. More immigrant communities settle in the large cities, and large cities and their surrounding areas make up a bigger percentage of our total population. The US is just a lot bigger obviously and there are more cities that the population is spread over.

Even Canadians in smaller or mid-sized cities are often familiar with or have been to the larger cities where there are many of the immigrant groups.

Calgary a middle-of-nowhere place? Calgary does have a fair share of diverse foreign-born, especially recently.

Another thing is, Canadians from the larger cities are more familiar with the cuisine/culture of places like Asia (including Chinese, Korean, Indian, Pakistani etc.) and the Middle East on average, than the US, but less familiar with Mexican/Latin American cuisine/culture.

In the composition of the immigrant groups in this way I think it's more like Australia, or the UK.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:33 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,015,238 times
Oh yeah, another thing is, there are Chinese restaurants in small towns in Canada (even in towns with a population of thousands or even hundreds of people). All across the prairies too.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:15 PM

133 posts, read 219,773 times
I like how someone posits a theory with NO basis in fact and it becomes the starting point for a "...those insular Americans..." thread.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:04 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
I like how someone posits a theory with NO basis in fact and it becomes the starting point for a "...those insular Americans..." thread.

Yeah. It's almost as annoying as people who think all Canadians are narrow-minded hosers eh? https://www.city-data.com/forum/22401665-post312.html

Old 01-22-2012, 05:57 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
The reason why there are so many international foods available in Canada is because it's in demand by so many Canadians from so many more different ethnic origins than what there are in America and of course international trade caters to the demand. This affords greater opportunities for all Canadians of all ethnicities to be as adventurous as they wish to avail themselves of all ethnic foods from all over the world.

By Canadian standards, certainly at least in the larger cities and towns, there are no unusual foods in Canada, it is all common fare. That may be the reason why, when Canadians are travelling, they would have no reason to complain about not being able to find food that they're accustomed to because they are already familiar with just about everything that would be common fare in other countries.

Just out of curiosity, could you name a type of International/Ethnic Food that is readily available in Canada that would be hard to take advantage of in the US? Off the top of my head I can't think of one type of food I could eat when I lived in Toronto that I have not found in a mid sized-large US City.

On the other hand I can think of certain foods I can eat where I live now that I could not find in Toronto. For example Cape Verdean, Dominican, Haitian and Puerto Rican. This may not be the case for where you live in BC, so if I am wrong please let me know.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
but if they think that they're embracing "ethnic foods"
Well, personally I think that anyone pompous enough to use that expression should be hit on the head with a frying pan, but maybe it's just me.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:54 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Honestly, I think this is mostly only true of Canadians that live in cities, although to be fair that includes even small cities. I've found Canadians from small towns and rural areas to be really white bread in their food choices. Indeed, I've even known several Ontarians from the 905 who were meat and potatoes and proud of not eating that "weird ethnic stuff". Growing up in a city though, I found everyone I knew ate non-European cuisine multiple times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada