Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think Canada's Head of State should be After QE2
King Charles & Duchess Camilla ; Unelected Governor General 14 35.00%
King Charles & Duchess Camilla ; Elected Governor General 5 12.50%
Canadian Republic ; Prime Minister & President 12 30.00%
Canadian Republic ; President (head of state & government) 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero2 View Post
It will happen in time once a suitable replacement is found. The biggest hurdle will be Quebec trying to attach all kinds of conditions or a premier playing games like Levesque did with repatriation.
You are very funny. As if something essentially symbolic tinkering with the monarchy is more important and worth more efforts (and compromise) than getting the largest province in area, the second-largest in population with close to 25% of the population to agree to sign the country's Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM

20 posts, read 39,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are very funny. As if something essentially symbolic tinkering with the monarchy is more important and worth more efforts (and compromise) than getting the largest province in area, the second-largest in population with close to 25% of the population to agree to sign the country's Constitution.
I'm not attempting to be funny. Levesque was not an honest broker as he never had any intent of signing anything but pretended otherwise. The majority of people in Quebec supported repatriation and the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:58 AM

63 posts, read 120,888 times
Very interesting question! Many opinions in Europe said about the comeback of Monarchy to the leading position there. Why not also in CA?

Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,399,438 times
I'm not Canadian, but I'm surprised by the number of votes FOR the monarchy.

Is it that Canadians don't want an elected head of state, or a desire to not be like the USA? I'm not knocking it, just curious.
I am British, but for a republic.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:32 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,283,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post

Is it that Canadians don't want an elected head of state, or a desire to not be like the USA? I'm not knocking it, just curious.

As I said in my first post: Canadians are largely apathetic. Not to mention a-political. If it is ticking along and working okay, why change it?

Old 01-28-2012, 03:58 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Quote:

Ignorance of the facts mostly, and a fear of being like the USA.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

Do you know what a constitutional monarchy is? What do you think the Prime Minister is in Canada? How do you think the Prime Minister got to be Prime Minister? What do you think Prime Minister means if not a duly elected and appointed head of government? The Monarch is mediator with the final say in very important matters but in essence is a figurehead who for the most part minds its own business and the Prime Minister in Canada is the real head of government.

Canada's Constitutional Monarchy and Parliament: http://hrsbstaff.ednet.ns.ca/waymac/...f%20Canada.htm

Moderator:snip off topic

Last edited by sunshineleith; 02-04-2012 at 02:22 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 11:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Quote:

I'll tell you why I'm a monarchist. I don't want some slimy politician as head of state. I really like the concept of "The crown" being head of state. When you really analyze the idea, the Queen or the King as the case might be is not even really "The crown". They represent the Crown during the time they reign. The Crown is really a concept that in Canada at least has come to represent the sovereignty and freedom of the People. Every Canadian has heard the term, "Crown land" and that is the majority of the land in this country. It's owned by the people. Thre resources on it and under it are owned by the people and the people will be the beneficiaries of those resources if and when those riches are exploited. That is quite a different concept than the USA where most of the land is privately held.

The Canadian justice system is far more independent of political interference than in a republic because the justice system is what? It's the Crown and is even called the Crown. It's permanent and not fleeting like any politican or political party of the day. Politicians may run the country from day to day but they don't run me. I'm a subject of the Crown not subject to Stephen Harper or any other temporary leader of Her Majesties government.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Well said Lucknow.

Something bears mentioning with regard to where you said - "I'm a subject of the Crown not subject to Stephen Harper or any other temporary leader of Her Majesties government."

This is for everyone's information but because you said that I thought you might be interested to know that in Canada you are not even a subject of the Crown anymore and haven't been since 1977.

Many people aren't aware of this but nobody in any of the Commonwealth Nations any longer has status as a subject of the Crown or of the Monarch or of their respective nation. Not even citizens in England are British subjects anymore. Citizens in the U.K. ceased to be British subjects in 1983. It all changed when the Nationality Acts in each of the respective Commonwealth nations went into effect and the status of subject became obsolete and people gained the status of sovereign citizens.

In the U.K. the term "British Subject" does still continue to be used in British legal discourse but it now has a very restrictive statutory definition in the United Kingdom.

There is an exception.

Quote:
The category of "British subjects" now includes only those people formerly known as "British subjects without citizenship", and no other. In statutes passed before 1 January 1983, however, references to "British subjects" continue to be read as if they referred to "Commonwealth citizens".

British citizens are not British subjects under the 1981 Act. The only circumstance where a person may be both a British subject and British citizen simultaneously is a case where a British subject connected with Ireland (s. 31 of the 1981 Act) acquires British citizenship by naturalisation or registration. In this case only, British subject status is not lost upon acquiring British citizenship.

The status of British subject cannot now be transmitted by descent, and will become extinct when all existing British subjects are dead.

British subjects, other than by those who obtained their status by virtue of a connection to the Republic of Ireland prior to 1949, automatically lose their British subject status on acquiring any other nationality, including British citizenship, under section 35 of the British Nationality Act 1981.
British subject - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-31-2012 at 01:43 AM..

Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I'll tell you why I'm a monarchist. I don't want some slimy politician as head of state. I really like the concept of "The crown" being head of state. When you really analyze the idea, the Queen or the King as the case might be is not even really "The crown". They represent the Crown during the time they reign. The Crown is really a concept that in Canada at least has come to represent the sovereignty and freedom of the People. Every Canadian has heard the term, "Crown land" and that is the majority of the land in this country. It's owned by the people. Thre resources on it and under it are owned by the people and the people will be the beneficiaries of those resources if and when those riches are exploited. That is quite a different concept than the USA where most of the land is privately held.

The Canadian justice system is far more independent of political interference than in a republic because the justice system is what? It's the Crown and is even called the Crown. It's permanent and not fleeting like any politican or political party of the day. Politicians may run the country from day to day but they don't run me. I'm a subject of the Crown not subject to Stephen Harper or any other temporary leader of Her Majesties government.
Nothing you stated in your post would have to change under a parliamentary republic, as a matter of fact nothing you said would counter any argument that Canada is actually a DE-FACTO parliamentary republic. The Queen's role at this point in our history is purely symbolic...we're a monarchy in name only.

Moderator:snip - orphaned material

Last edited by sunshineleith; 02-04-2012 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada