Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2012, 04:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,583 times

Advertisements

For a while now I have been seriously considering moving to Canada and the rest of my family has as well but we're not really sure about the immigration system and the healthcare amongst other things.
We're a British family and we'd just like to a few answers to our questions:

1. As British citizens how would we go about a move to Canada? Would we need a specific visa?

2. How good is the healthcare in Canada? Me and my sister have type 1 diabetes so this is a very important and could decide whether or not we move

3. Which area of Canada would be most ideal for us starting out? I'm not entirely sure on the budget we have available but both my parents have professional jobs and I am currently heading into university
And finally
4. I'm studying to be a teacher at university so would that help me find a job in a Canadian school or will I have to go to a Canadian university?

Any help will be much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 AM

981 posts, read 2,705,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-1B View Post
For a while now I have been seriously considering moving to Canada and the rest of my family has as well but we're not really sure about the immigration system and the healthcare amongst other things.
We're a British family and we'd just like to a few answers to our questions:

1. As British citizens how would we go about a move to Canada? Would we need a specific visa?

2. How good is the healthcare in Canada? Me and my sister have type 1 diabetes so this is a very important and could decide whether or not we move

3. Which area of Canada would be most ideal for us starting out? I'm not entirely sure on the budget we have available but both my parents have professional jobs and I am currently heading into university
And finally
4. I'm studying to be a teacher at university so would that help me find a job in a Canadian school or will I have to go to a Canadian university?

Any help will be much appreciated
1. Immigrating to Canada
2. Health Care programs vary by province. Ontario for example has a 3 month delay when becoming a resident so you'd need to be ready to pay all your health care expenses for that time. The quality of health care is good. There can be lengthy wait times for some things. Some examples.. http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...ams/waittimes/ shows Ontario average for an MRI is a 98 day wait.
3. Really hard to answer without knowing your interests, hobbies, likes, dislikes
4. Check the link in step 1 under skilled workers program..

Old 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,855,074 times
Or apply through a Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)

Alberta has good business environment and health care.

Teacher Certification in Alberta

Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,063,889 times
Education is taken very seriously here, and the competition is fierce and especially in the major centres. Regardless of what you do to further your career over there, you WILL need a Canadian educational degree of some kind to even be considered for a job.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 PM

86 posts, read 221,899 times
Immigration will consider your health status. If you have chronic conditions that can be considered a significant risk to be a high burden for the health care system they can reject you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada