Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:46 AM

776 posts, read 1,673,527 times

Advertisements

What happens when Canada’s housing bubble pops? - Econowatch - Macleans.ca "What happens when Canada’s housing bubble pops?"

Thoughts?

Last edited by sunshineleith; 01-30-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 PM

235 posts, read 837,396 times
That article points out a few persuasive reasons to believe that Canada will avoid a real estate meltdown of US proportions (outside of Vancouver and Toronto at least). Even in the US, the housing bust hit some cities worse than others. I'm amazed at how long the housing run-up in values has gone on... house prices have risen pretty astronomically over the past 10 years.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Shouldn't this be in the "property" forums?
Anyways, there are several similar articles popping up all over .. Bloomberg & FP included.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
What happens when Canada’s housing bubble pops? - Econowatch - Macleans.ca "What happens when Canada’s housing bubble pops?"

Thoughts?
My thoughts:

- What created the bubble in many US markets, and what made it burst?
- Are those conditions present in Canada?

If you know someone who has been able to finance 100% of his/her house without showing any proof of revenue, tell me about it. I don't know anybody like that.

What is the definition of a bubble? Prices have been rising in most Canada markets for an unusually long time but they are still relatively much lower than in most of Europe and Australia.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
If you know someone who has been able to finance 100% of his/her house without showing any proof of revenue, tell me about it. I don't know anybody like that.
Neither do I, and neither did most Americans purchase their homes in such a manner. The media has failed to mention the biggest culprit behind the housing crash in the U.S. -- people buying too much house relative to their budget. Has that happened in Canada?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:19 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
What happens when Canada’s housing bubble pops? - Econowatch - Macleans.ca

Thoughts?
The writing is on the wall.

Quote:
CMHC curbs mortgage insurance offerings to banks
CBC News
Posted: Jan 31, 2012 (4:15 PM ET)

The federal housing agency is serving notice to banks and other lenders that it is nearing the limit on mortgage insurance it can offer them.
Quote:
Self-employed, new immigrants may find getting a mortgage tougher
The Star
Published On Wed Feb 01 2012

CIBC’s wholesale mortgage arm, FirstLine, quietly announced Tuesday that it will no longer accept new applications from “stated income” homebuyers who can’t prove they have the annual net income to qualify for home loans.

FirstLine also set a $1 million cap on what it will lend for a home purchase.

The major change in policy, which is bound to pique the interest of other major lenders, came on the same day it was revealed that the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. could be forced to cut back on the mortgages it insures.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM

63 posts, read 120,905 times
Quote:

Thoughts?

You have to understand that US house bubble pop was coupled with (or was the fuse for) with sub-prime mortgage crisis which made the whole situation much (much!) worse.

Canada's housing market is only experiencing something like "overheated economy" and in these cases bubble pops are inevitable and sometimes desired because thanks to them the overstimulated market can make new equilibriums and a "fresh start".

Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Neither do I, and neither did most Americans purchase their homes in such a manner. The media has failed to mention the biggest culprit behind the housing crash in the U.S. -- people buying too much house relative to their budget. Has that happened in Canada?
These "no stated income" loans are available in Canada... They are geared towards small business owners and consultants.. CIBC I know for a fat does brisk business with them.

I have friends who got them.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Is the bubble near? Canada

Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM

545 posts, read 1,555,918 times
I doubt it'll burst. It didn't "burst" in '08 or '09. I don't see how 2012 is going to be worse than those years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada