Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 09:09 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,532,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is the thing - is it because things are becoming too 'woke' or is it this a concerted effort by the far right to simply demonize the left and even the centre in order claw back social progress. I mean some of these people would be right at home... In the 1700's.
I think they are serious. A couple more links:

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/04/11611...t-legal-action

https://apnews.com/article/fact-chec...s-160560972802
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2023, 10:57 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
This is the thing - is it because things are becoming too 'woke' or is it this a concerted effort by the far right to simply demonize the left and even the centre in order claw back social progress. I mean some of these people would be right at home... In the 1700's.
I believe it's a concerted effort to demonize everything that is not far right. I've been thinking that's what it is for at least the past 20 years.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
It's disheartening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I believe it's a concerted effort to demonize everything that is not far right. I've been thinking that's what it is for at least the past 20 years.

Oh yeah it's ongoing but the work is paying off for them at the expense of civil rights more nowadays. Women and minority groups seem to be the biggest targets.

Old 03-06-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
It's disheartening.

Oh yeah it's ongoing but the work is paying off for them at the expense of civil rights more nowadays. Women and minority groups seem to be the biggest targets.
Children too. This Florida bill would legalize kidnapping of children, even from other states:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2294855.html

Old 04-18-2023, 08:13 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,791,738 times
Heinz vs. French’s ketchup smackdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeVAxbcAr9k&t=305s

Old 05-07-2023, 10:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Just an odd little story as I'm mindlessly googling random stuff: I had a horse who was a grandson of the great Canadian Thoroughbred, Northern Dancer.

So, I spotted an old article on Northern Dancer on CBC and decided to Google my own long since deceased horse. He had lifetime winnings of around $200,000. No Northern Dancer but a gentleman of a horse.

My search turned up an article in which the woman I bought him from when he was 12 posted about the horse she sold to me, that she bought him to save him from the meat market and "rehabbed" him off the track, won competitions with him, before selling him to a "loving couple," and whom she visited "often," and he was no longer ridden but "walked daily."

In actual fact, she hung around the stables at the Downs and eventually got the owner to sell her the horse for $1000 bucks. But she never paid the owner the $1000 bucks and couldn't afford to board him. When i got him, he was skin and bones and pin worms had burrowed into his butt area which was black as though he had gangrene. I didn't know how he could poop. But I did get him well and he lived to aged 30 here on my farm.

And she visited twice and had the idea that she could sell him so that he was my financial problem, but come over any time and ride him.

I'm amazed. Just amazed. Actually.

No moral to the story.

Old 05-21-2023, 07:31 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,059,948 times
Cough cough cough...put out your wildfires.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:34 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,048,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Cough cough cough...put out your wildfires.
Usually if our neighbour's fires are offending us or if there are other serious problems we send people down there to help the neighbours put the fires out or do whatever else is required to help out. I'm not seeing that kind of reciprocal help from our neighbours happening up here though so I guess y'all will just have to cough along with the rest of us while we do the best we can.

Old 05-21-2023, 08:42 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,453,797 times
If it was only that easy..........The 4 western Provinces, and the North West Territory all have massive wildfires burning right now. Alberta, in particular is suffering terribly, with thousands of people having to evacuate their towns. The Canadian Forces have mobilized both regular force units, and reserve units to help with fighting the fires and the RCAF has been flying C130's to evacuate people from the affected areas. Other Canadian Provinces have sent firefighters and water bomber aircraft to the west to help out. Some US help has been brought in, too.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Usually if our neighbour's fires are offending us or if there are other serious problems we send people down there to help the neighbours put the fires out or do whatever else is required to help out. I'm not seeing that kind of reciprocal help from our neighbours happening up here though so I guess y'all will just have to cough along with the rest of us while we do the best we can.

That’s not true, Zoisite.

Article dated May 14: 200 firefighters from U.S. arrive in Alberta as wildfire danger threatens south of province

Quote:
Firefighters from Oregon, Montano, Idaho, Washington, South Dakota and Colorado are being deployed in central and northern Alberta.

More than 800 people from other agencies, including from Parks Canada, the Canadian military and other provinces, are helping Alberta fight the wildfires that have forced thousands from their homes this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada