Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2023, 09:35 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Usually if our neighbour's fires are offending us or if there are other serious problems we send people down there to help the neighbours put the fires out or do whatever else is required to help out. I'm not seeing that kind of reciprocal help from our neighbours happening up here though so I guess y'all will just have to cough along with the rest of us while we do the best we can.

We should be sending you 10,000 water choppers, as fire season has come early; way early.
I get vids from a friend in Saskatchewan, last summer it resembled Mordor from Lord of the Rings.
The smoke is toxic, yet it seems normalized; not even in the news.

Last edited by Sunbiz1; 05-21-2023 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2023, 09:42 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
The Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre: https://www.ciffc.ca/about

Quote:
During the fire season, the CIFFC operates seven days a week, coordinating the sharing of firefighting resources between Member agencies and with international partners.
Quote:
a Diplomatic Note signed with the United States authorises the sharing of resources for fire suppression across the international boundary. The Canada/United States Reciprocal Forest Fire Fighting Arrangement (CANUS) combined with several other exemptions allows for quick movement of resources across the international border -- essential during an escalated fire season. The CIFFC Coordination Centre maintains daily contact with the National Interagency Coordination Center (NICC) in Boise Idaho to coordinate resource sharing between the two countries.
Quote:
In addition to co-operating with the United States, the CIFFC and its member agencies have arrangements with Australia, Mexico, New Zealand and South Africa. Requests for assistance from and to these countries are negotiated on an as-and-when needed basis. The CIFFC also maintains membership with international organizations such as the North American Forestry Commission and the Global Fire Monitoring Centre.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Thanks, I knew about the others but I didn't know about the American firefighters joining the fray. I'm glad to learn about that..... and about the CIFFC especially.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:04 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks, I knew about the others but I didn't know about the American firefighters joining the fray. I'm glad to learn about that..... and about the CIFFC especially.

I read an article about the CIFFC some years ago. One advantage of having arrangements with southern hemisphere countries is that their firefighters tend not to be tied up with their own forest fires at the same time of year. Of course, climate change may be altering that.

Old 05-21-2023, 10:17 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I read an article about the CIFFC some years ago. One advantage of having arrangements with southern hemisphere countries is that their firefighters tend not to be tied up with their own forest fires at the same time of year. Of course, climate change may be altering that.
The way things have been going with the climate change related fires around the world lately (thinking of Europe's and Russia's Siberian wildfires too) it's looking like it might become necessary for a global firefighters coalition to be formed.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:44 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
We should be sending you 10,000 water choppers, as fire season has come early; way early.
I get vids from a friend in Saskatchewan, last summer it resembled Mordor from Lord of the Rings.
The smoke is toxic, yet it seems normalized; not even in the news.
It's all over the news here.

Old 05-21-2023, 01:27 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's all over the news here.

Handy tool I found, you're clear; but Calgary and Edmonton.
https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/

Old 05-21-2023, 02:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Handy tool I found, you're clear; but Calgary and Edmonton.
https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/
Nice.

We did have some haze the other day, but it only lasted less than a day.

I'm just really concerned about what our summer will be like.

Hate the smoke.

Old 05-21-2023, 02:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
We've been hazy from the smoke further west here in southern Manitoba for the last couple of days. It's kept temperatures cooler than they would be otherwise.

Old 05-21-2023, 11:32 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Just an odd little story as I'm mindlessly googling random stuff: I had a horse who was a grandson of the great Canadian Thoroughbred, Northern Dancer. <Snip.>

No moral to the story.
I would disagree, netwit, that there is no moral. I'd suggest that there is: be kind to animals, and they will reward you with kindness in their own way.

Racehorses, thoroughbreds anyway, do require rehabbing once they retire. Maybe champion studs and mares don't, since they're used for a specific purpose (i.e. breeding); but once a low-grade-to-average thoroughbred has raced for eight years or more, it's not going to get used to retirement and life in the pasture. Especially if it's a gelding, it's got up to 20 years or so of life left in it. These horses have been bred to race, and know how to do nothing else, and like most pro athletes, they're washed up at an early age. They need to be retrained to deal with retirement.

The farm where I boarded my dear old mixed-breed mare had a retired racehorse in the barn. It had not been rehabbed. It belonged to my friend, and all we had to do was to go out on a trail ride, and his horse would try to outrun mine every chance he got. My horse was game, but could not keep up, and while I enjoyed galloping her, I'd generally rein her in before she could hurt herself trying to keep up with that Thoroughbred. She was fine with that, and seemed at times, to be thankful.

On the other hand, I am cheered by what I see when I watch and wager on Santa Anita or Golden Gate Fields or Del Mar at my local race book. In between the promos for upcoming events, there are ads soliciting donations for some California organization that rehabs retired Thoroughbred racehorses. That is good to see, as the organization rehabs the horses, in order to let them live out their full life without being a problem to anybody, and providing riding horses to those who want to learn to ride. Rewarding the people who want to learn more about horses, in other words. Such an organization should exist everywhere racing does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada