Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,223 times

Advertisements

I agree with the above. If you really want to come here, explore every possible avenue that could open a door to living and working here, even if temporary. I like the idea of looking for a job with a Canadian-owned bank.

Personally if it were me I would just move to San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 03:38 PM

253 posts, read 557,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDB View Post
Firstly, thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and help me.

In short, I'm 24 living in Tampa, FL for 6 years. For many reasons, I want to move.

I currently work in an independent business right here in Carrollwood, so when I move, I will have to revert to working retail or banking. That would leave my income, depending on the job I acquire, as low as $20k to as much as $28k. Not a lot, but I don't need anything fancy.

What am I looking for?

I will be moving alone.
I am looking to rent a house, not buy.

The smaller the town, the better. I like quiet and boring, not lively college town. Definitely not a city person.

I just today considered Canada for a few reasons.
I have read/heard that it has a significantly lower crime rate than the US.
I have heard that apparently, people are just nicer there.
Here in Tampa, FL, I'm the type that always smiles when I pass a person in the grocery store or say hello when passing someone on the sidewalk (way my mother raised me), but I am used to getting snubbed or just ignored. I think people are uncomfortable because they aren't used to it.
I know Canada has some beautiful areas and nature, something New Jersey, New York, and Florida (all places I've lived), don't have.

The east coast states are too expensive, or they are too populated.
The west coast is preferred, but I'm still weighing my options.

I have enough money to make one trip to one location to explore. That's why it's so important to pick the most likely place for me to move. The next trip I'd be able to take probably wouldn't be until 2014, and by that point, I want to have relocated.

To anyone who has lived his/her entire life in Canada, please let me know if this might be a good place for me to consider.

Again, thank you.
The West is expensive too.... more expensive than the east. Anyways BC is a beautiful province and based on your desire for nature and a small city I'd suggest Vernon BC. It's a beautiful city of 40 000, it's hot in the summer and cool/cold in the winter, grapes and apples grow in abundance there and it's close to Kelowna (45 min drive) if you ever feel the need to get out of a small city for a while. The area is surrounded by lakes and nature...it's really gorgeous. Another place you might want to consider is Kamloops, but it has a semi desert climate, or Lytton, just south of Kamloops, there is a very small population and your surrounded by mountains and trees....although getting a job there could be difficult....forget Lytton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada