Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 06:00 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
I'm sure Montréal is in the works with closing a deal with a big European team. Toronto FC for example has a deal with Real Madrid to play 2 friendly matches per year at the BMO Field.

Also, LOL at how the site censors the stadium's name because part of it is a bad word in Spanish Sa****.
******!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
Basketball was invented in Canada but it is nowhere near close to popular as Hockey is.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeMan8 View Post
Basketball was invented in Canada but it is nowhere near close to popular as Hockey is.
Not to nit pick, but it was invented in Massachusetts by James Naismith who was born and raised in Canada.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 AM

311 posts, read 1,138,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Not to nit pick, but it was invented in Massachusetts by James Naismith who was born and raised in Canada.
I meant to say made by a 'Canadian'.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexiQuebecois View Post
I'm sure Montréal is in the works with closing a deal with a big European team. Toronto FC for example has a deal with Real Madrid to play 2 friendly matches per year at the BMO Field.

Also, LOL at how the site censors the stadium's name because part of it is a bad word in Spanish Sa****.
Will be interesting to see which clubs they draw. What is the most popular league for people to watch in Montreal, other than the local MLS team? Here I would definitely say its the Premiership.

On another topic, has anyone been following the Junior Hoillett situation? If not familiar he is a very talented player for Blackburn FC in the Premiership that was born in Canada to Jamaican parents. He has also been living in Europe since 13 playing in both the youth leagues in Germany and England. He is supposed to announce which country he will play for before World Cup Qualifying starts and would be a huge addition for both Jamaica or Canada.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Will be interesting to see which clubs they draw. What is the most popular league for people to watch in Montreal, other than the local MLS team? Here I would definitely say its the Premiership.
I would say there is no single league that is far ahead of all the others like the EPL is in most parts of North America. So, although not far ahead of all the others, but if I had to pick the one followed by the most people it would certainly be Serie A.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I would say there is no single league that is far ahead of all the others like the EPL is in most parts of North America. So, although not far ahead of all the others, but if I had to pick the one followed by the most people it would certainly be Serie A.
Interesting that Serie A is the most popular. Is Ligue 1 popular because of the language connection?

Also how common is it for people to randomly play "pick up" soccer in Quebec? or is it more a case of organized leagues where people would have to play?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Also how common is it for people to randomly play "pick up" soccer in Quebec? or is it more a case of organized leagues where people would have to play?
It is far behind street hockey (even in summer!) but up there in second place with touch football I would say. Then it would say basketball with baseball far behind. Just my impressions though.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Interesting that Serie A is the most popular.
The Italian community is by far the largest community in Montreal with a "homeland" that has a highly touted soccer league. Spanish, English, German and Brazilian communities are a lot smaller. This probably explains it.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Is Ligue 1 popular because of the language connection?
Ligue 1 gets some coverage but not as much as Serie A and even the EPL and Spanish leagues get more attention I would say. Even in the francophone media, the other three are more covered that the French league, which is generally perceived as inferior.

France has of late tried to boost its soccer profile in Quebec, and held a Supercup-type match between the Ligue 1 and Coupe de France champs in Montreal in 2009: the Trophée de Champions. It drew 35,000. Since then the French have held this game outside France twice, in North Africa I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada