Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 12:56 PM

83 posts, read 327,754 times

Advertisements

I'm thing about moving to BC ,canada after college maybe to live in vancouver or victoria I wanted to know my junior and senior year should I look for a job first before applying for my permeant visa or just apply before looking for a job. my major is Teaching. On the website they say you should have $10,000 dollars before you move there which I'm not going to have so what should I do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 PM

21 posts, read 162,859 times
No, you don't need $10 000 to move in but at least $2500. Keep in mind the BC is expensive and you will need to afford an appartment and furniture during your first weeks (it can some time to find a job).

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM

118 posts, read 296,293 times
I don't know how the job market is there? But I do know the price of housing is extremely crazy. You might want to do a little research in the requirements to become a certified teacher in BC. I have heard it is harder to be certified there because the program is different then it is in other parts of Canada. And I seem to recall a post on another site about them not willing to accept credentials from other institutions in the U.S. and U.K.
Good luck

Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 AM

3 posts, read 10,024 times
I like vancouver very much and want to live in there. I don't know if I can find job without abrod education.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 619,335 times
One thing I would consider if you have yet to finish your degree is to Study there. Talk to your schools guidance department about possible exchanges to study (often unadvertised by readily available). You'd be able to live there on a student visa during your studies and pursue citizenship, etc on the ground (so to speak). Generally with these exchanges you end up paying the your local tuition at where you're studying as opposed to the international or out of country student rates which are often 100% to 300% more.
Vancouver is great, but more expensive than Washington, DC. Victoria is similarly priced. Another option to consider is tourism related visa positions. I know that Whistler-Blackcomb have a few agreements for out of country workers that might be worth looking into (although those are primarily geared at the UK and Australia/New Zealend if memory serves). Best of luck, and try to get there before 2010 (when the winter Olympics are to be held in Vancouver/Whistler, and prices will EXPLODE!!). Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:15 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,602 times
Also check out Work Canada - BUNAC's work and travel programme to Canada which can secure you a work visa so long as you meet the following requirements:

1) Be aged 18-30
2) US Citizen
3) A full-time student enrolled for at least 8 credit hours at an accredited college or university

The program cost is $250 and you are authorized for work for six months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada