Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2016, 10:02 PM

48 posts, read 46,521 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for help for myself (I have asperger's). There doesn't seem to be a lot of services and I was denied disability. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 01:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
It could be that you went about the required assessments and application procedures the wrong way. What kinds of professional consultations and neuropsychological and medical assessment procedures did you follow through on before you applied for disability? How many times did you meet with the free legal advocate that you are required to consult with to advise you on procedures and to help you to fill out the first part of the application forms? What was the medical professional status of the assessor(s) that filled out the remaining two thirds of the disability application forms?

Old 10-25-2016, 07:15 AM

230 posts, read 535,775 times
You need to find a private practitioner that specializes in autism to diagnose you. Autism Ontario can help you find a practitioner that can do that. He or she would most likely be able to fill out the disability forms correctly so that you receive the disability amount that you're entitled to with your diagnosis. Autism Ontario should also be able to direct you to the various supports and services that are available to you as someone with an autism diagnosis.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl22586 View Post
You need to find a private practitioner that specializes in autism to diagnose you. Autism Ontario can help you find a practitioner that can do that. He or she would most likely be able to fill out the disability forms correctly so that you receive the disability amount that you're entitled to with your diagnosis. Autism Ontario should also be able to direct you to the various supports and services that are available to you as someone with an autism diagnosis.
I was diagnosed over ten years ago. Autism Ontario doesn't provide anything for adults past the age of 21, they will not even pay for social skill or life skills classes unless you're under age or at level 3 on the Autism scale (the most severe kind, non-verbal and mentally retarded). I was rejected for ODSP.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiebutter View Post

I was diagnosed over ten years ago. Autism Ontario doesn't provide anything for adults past the age of 21, they will not even pay for social skill or life skills classes unless you're under age or at level 3 on the Autism scale (the most severe kind, non-verbal and mentally retarded). I was rejected for ODSP.
Your diagnosis from 10 years ago is not relevant. You need a diagnosis that is relevant to present time coming from the medical practitioner(s) whose care you are under at present time. Autism Ontario might not provide services for autistic adults past the age of 21 ( for your information - most other provinces' autism societies don't offer services for adults either) but Autism Ontario and ODSP are not the same thing. They are unrelated services with no connection to each other. Forget about Autism Ontario for now and focus on getting a diagnosis now from your psychiatrist. If you are truly disabled and willing to jump through all the necessary hoops and follow required procedures in the correct order there's no reason why you should be disqualified for ODSP benefits and resources. Once you qualify for ODSP you will also be able to fall back on some of the resources offered by Autism Ontario.

In your other topic that you started in the Psychology Forum you said that you didn't finish school, have never had a job and are unable to function in any way. Who is supporting you now? Who is providing you with shelter, food, living expenses and paying for your medical coverage right now?

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-25-2016 at 07:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Your diagnosis from 10 years ago is not relevant. You need a diagnosis that is relevant to present time coming from the medical practitioner(s) whose care you are under at present time. Autism Ontario might not provide services for autistic adults past the age of 21 ( for your information - most other provinces' autism societies don't offer services for adults either) but Autism Ontario and ODSP are not the same thing. They are unrelated services with no connection to each other. Forget about Autism Ontario for now and focus on getting a diagnosis now from your psychiatrist. If you are truly disabled and willing to jump through all the necessary hoops and follow required procedures in the correct order there's no reason why you should be disqualified for ODSP benefits and resources. Once you qualify for ODSP you will also be able to fall back on some of the resources offered by Autism Ontario.

Who is supporting you now anyway? Who is providing you with shelter, food, living expenses and paying for your medical coverage right now?

My family is supporting me. Both parents are still alive. My brother is also on the spectrum and lives at home too, but he gets ODSP benefits because he is also bipolar.

I will consider going through CMHC for an "adult diagnosis" but this type of assessment may or may not be covered. I had to go to Oakville (Oaklands autism services) to get the diagnosis as a teen and that assessment took months.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:12 PM

Ask your family doctor to refer you to a psychiatrist if you are not already seeing a psychiatrist. Then ask your family doctor and your psychiatrist to refer you to a neuropsychologist. The psychiatrist and the neuropsychologist will do the proper assessments and make the referrals you'll need to be eligible to apply for ODSP. It takes 3 days to complete the assessment questions and exercises under the supervision of the neuropsychologist. Then it takes 3 to 4 weeks for the neuropsychologist to write up the full assessment report. The assessment report is typically between 15 to 20 pages long, it is very concise.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada