Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM

264 posts, read 907,240 times

Advertisements

While surfing the internet I have read that Canadian universities can be a good alternative to U.S. schools. Anyone here familiar with this situation ?

For instance a article I read said if your kid is going to go to a private college or out of state in the US you should consider Canaadian university because cost could be same or lower and many Canadian schools have bettee academic reputations. The article highlighted McGill ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
While surfing the internet I have read that Canadian universities can be a good alternative to U.S. schools. Anyone here familiar with this situation ?

For instance a article I read said if your kid is going to go to a private college or out of state in the US you should consider Canaadian university because cost could be same or lower and many Canadian schools have bettee academic reputations. The article highlighted McGill ?
I'm not Canadian, but check FAFSA to see your desired unis are on the list of Canadian unis that they would dispense financial aid to (financial aid will only apply to schools that have a FAFSA code). Also, check to see if there are no limits towards foreign fees with FAFSA aid

Old 05-11-2012, 11:57 AM

36 posts, read 155,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post

McGill is one of the top universities here. Are you thinking of attending? If so, what subject? All the top universities are good but some are better than others depending on the subject.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times
Liberal arts

Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM

13 posts, read 59,456 times
Top 3: McGill(Montreal), U of T(Toronto) and UBC(Vancouver).
Tuition really depends on your program but u can expect to pay around 25K a year.
Toronto and Vancouver are insanely expensive, Montreal is cheaper. McGill consider to be a party school and Montreal has a great nightlife. I think this should be your first choice.
There are lots of good universities which will cost you around 15K such as Simon Fraser(Vancouver), Dalhousie(Halifax), York(Toronto) and U of Alberta(Edmonton) etc..
By the way, I'm not Canadian :P

Old 05-12-2012, 09:49 AM

159 posts, read 428,217 times
It costs more, and the rewards are less.

Here's the thing about Canadian schools... you can go to a really great place like the University of Toronto -- which is on par with the highest tier of American universities -- but unless you're planning on staying in Canada, very few people in the U.S. are going to respect that degree in the same was as if you went to an Ohio State or a Duke or a UConn.

So, yeah, there are some great Canadian schools. But the name recognition just isn't there in the states. And that's 90% of what you're paying for in a degree, particularly as an undergrad.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:01 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
It costs more, and the rewards are less.

Here's the thing about Canadian schools... you can go to a really great place like the University of Toronto -- which is on par with the highest tier of American universities -- but unless you're planning on staying in Canada, very few people in the U.S. are going to respect that degree in the same was as if you went to an Ohio State or a Duke or a UConn.

So, yeah, there are some great Canadian schools. But the name recognition just isn't there in the states. And that's 90% of what you're paying for in a degree, particularly as an undergrad.
I don't know about that. I went to McGill with many Americans and those that didn't stay in Canada went on to great things in the US. My American cousin, for example, got into Medical School at Virginia Tech, and another friend is doing a Master's at Boston University. Listen, in Academia people are familiar with the big, internationally recognized universities in other countries. Just because it's not in America doesn't mean those in Academia have never heard of the Cambridges and Sourbonnes of the world. Toronto's a bit of an exception because it's only recently become a world class university, it wasn't that well known twenty years ago. But McGill has been prestigious for two hundred years. And Montreal is a fantastic city to experience living in and one of the most affordable major cities in North America, as well as one of the safest.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 05-12-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Our 20th Annual University Rankings – - Macleans OnCampus

A friends daughter is at Mount Allison, loves it, and international tuition is lower than New Hampshire instate tuition.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:23 PM

207 posts, read 926,028 times
FYI: Canadian University Report

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.c...t_1333059a.pdf

Old 05-19-2012, 01:14 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times
I am interested in maybe doing a year of school in Toronto or Van via an exchange program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada