Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:51 AM

384 posts, read 1,709,806 times

Advertisements

This is the story of the Jena 6, how do you suppose this would have been handled in Canada? Has this news even reached the Canadian airwaves?

Democracy Now! | The Case of the Jena Six: Black High School Students Charged with Attempted Murder for Schoolyard Fight After Nooses Are Hung from Tree

ColorOfChange.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
I don't think Canadians are as barbaric as americans.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
It wouldn't have been handled, because it wouldn't have happened.

I've been to the most redneck corners of this country, and there is no way that that would fly. Period, full stop.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:50 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
This is the story of the Jena 6, how do you suppose this would have been handled in Canada?

Has this news even reached the Canadian airwaves?
If the same thing happened here, it's likely that it would be treated similarly. However such events almost never happen. I get this suspicion from how the government and police handled the "Caledonia Stand-Off." To sum it up Indians (Native Canadians) terrorized a small town for months over a petty land dispute of a new subdivision. It was scary, some arrests were made, but most people weren't arrested. It still might be ongoing and the police are powerless to stop it. No leglisation will come about to help prevent this in the future.

I don't believe I've heard any news of it.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I get this suspicion from how the government and police handled the "Caledonia Stand-Off." To sum it up Indians (Native Canadians) terrorized a small town for months over a petty land dispute of a new subdivision. It was scary, some arrests were made, but most people weren't arrested. It still might be ongoing and the police are powerless to stop it. No leglisation will come about to help prevent this in the future.
Ok then so how are the laws pertaining to private citizens owning weaponry of any kind(to protect themselves if need be)?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
We have hockey sticks, baseball bats and Mattel toys covered with lead paint and dogfood.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

148 posts, read 876,969 times
To protect ourselves from what?

Call 911.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocuri View Post
To protect ourselves from what?

Call 911.
I was responding to the post about how the police were 'powerless' against those who were 'terrorizing' that town. Obviously 911 wouldn't work so I am suggesting people always be prepared to take 'personal responsibility' against crime.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I was responding to the post about how the police were 'powerless' against those who were 'terrorizing' that town. Obviously 911 wouldn't work so I am suggesting people always be prepared to take 'personal responsibility' against crime.
The police were almost powerless against an angry mob of several dozen, perhaps several hundred Natives. Perhaps if they weren't Natives (aka Indians) they would have all been tear-gassed and locked up. They probably had the physical capability of taking them down, but didn't, and won't.

The Native protesters usually weren't violent, but they scared the *&^ out of the local residents by blocking the main rural highway through town with tires and lighting them on fire and taking a cube van and deliberately ramming it into a transformer, knocking out power to most residents in one or two rural counties, or around 100,000 people. The smoke from the tire fires caused local schools to close due to concerns over smoke inhalation.

Some did get violent when other P.O.'d townfolk met with the Natives though...

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 09-20-2007 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
The police were almost powerless against an angry mob of several dozen, perhaps several hundred Natives. Perhaps if they weren't Natives (aka Indians) they would have all been tear-gassed and locked up. They probably had the physical capability of taking them down, but didn't, and won't.

The Native protesters usually weren't violent, but they scared the *&^ out of the local residents by blocking the main rural highway through town with tires and lighting them on fire and taking a cube van and deliberately ramming it into a transformer, knocking out power to most residents in one or two rural counties, or around 100,000 people. The smoke from the tire fires caused local schools to close due to concerns over smoke inhalation.
The police wouldn't do anything at all to the 'Natives' but they would just sit idly by and watch then do worse to the townspeople than the police would have done to them.
You're not implying the police there are pansies are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada