Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Balducci View Post
Crock posted that the United States DOES "have better and cheaper shopping options".
Does that mean Canadians cross the border to buy beer?

God bless,

CKB
No most of us Canadians come because the diffrence in the price of Gas is huge between Canada and the U.S..it is not uncommon for people that live near the border to head down for gas every couple of weeks to fill up...

One other Reason people in Vancouver Go to Westren Washington is to fly out of Bellingham International Airport.

Since a flight to SoCal or Vegas is about $150-200 less and for $199-$270 roundtrip on airfare and hotel (Depending at which hotel you stay at reflects the price and what is included) and you can be in Vegas in a couple of hours on a 3 day on the cheap holiday away from the long grey winters of the PNW...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:05 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wonder if Americans notice the almost total lack of Canadian Political discussion by comparison to American hysteria on the subject.I'm on a few Canadian forums and theres nothing equivalent to the Politics section thats here on CD.. Also bringing up political topics with Canadian friends usually gets them wanting to change the subject asap..
Well, Canadians aren't as polarized and hung up about politics as Americans are but I think Americans probably do notice the lack of interest in discussion if they're the ones who try to introduce the topic of politics with Canadians. I know it sometimes gets frustrating for my politically active American relatives when they come up for big family reunions. They've tried to get into disputes about Canadian, American and international politics, and tried to make comparisons and critiques - and finally given up after getting non-committal shrugs, blank looks and persistent changes of topic to more light hearted discussions about other things. I think most of them have reached the point where they know better now than to try to get into heated political discussions with their Canadian relatives and friends.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well, Canadians aren't as polarized and hung up about politics as Americans are but I think Americans probably do notice the lack of interest in discussion if they're the ones who try to introduce the topic of politics with Canadians. I know it sometimes gets frustrating for my politically active American relatives when they come up for big family reunions. They've tried to get into disputes about Canadian, American and international politics, and tried to make comparisons and critiques - and finally given up after getting non-committal shrugs, blank looks and persistent changes of topic to more light hearted discussions about other things. I think most of them have reached the point where they know better now than to try to get into heated political discussions with their Canadian relatives and friends.

Most Australians are quite apolitical, too. Also I've seldom met anyone who is a passionate supporter of either side - not for many years. We're more likely to have a whinge about how bad the current government is and how they need to go.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 PM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Meh canadians are just as political, it's just not in such a fox news type of way. It's much more passive agressive than that in your face thing you find in the states.

Many canadians, will imply their values by how they talk and complain about things. Whether it's bragging about the size of their tax forms, slagging on certain groups, taking of the dramas they had at hospital waiting rooms.

Canadians talk of politics in plural forms, its like a plethora of gods versus one, we got a parliament, with multiple parties, with provincial/municipal just as important as federal, and we have different levels of awareness. Americans tend to be very singular on who they talk about, us versus them type of talk, which can make more sense in a presidential system.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,185 times
Canadians are far more courteous drivers. Indeed, far more courteous people in general.

A fair number of Canadians I've met seem to lack any sense of sarcasm or irony, which I find fascinating.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Canadians are far more courteous drivers. Indeed, far more courteous people in general.

A fair number of Canadians I've met seem to lack any sense of sarcasm or irony, which I find fascinating.
How ironic, since so many great comedians come from there.

(did you get that Canadians? )

Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:

Perhaps they were just so subtle with it that you didn't recognize it for what it was. It's been my experience that Canadians have a wry sense of humour and irony that most other Canadians recognize but goes right over the heads of most non-Canadians.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:28 PM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Quote:

This depends entirely which part of the country you are in, I'm pretty sure east of ottawa is very open to different types of humor.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:12 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Perhaps they were just so subtle with it that you didn't recognize it for what it was. It's been my experience that Canadians have a wry sense of humour and irony that most other Canadians recognize but goes right over the heads of most non-Canadians.

Could be.

And I certainly didn't mean to paint ALL Canadians I've met with that brush by a long shot. Many (most?) laugh heartily and often.

It just seems like there are a greater percentage of Canadians than Americans who seem to keep it pretty buttoned up.

But you may well be right, maybe there's just a different kind of humor going on that I'm not picking up.

It is interesting though.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 AM

87 posts, read 192,516 times
From my experiences:

Northern USA and Canada are the same in looks and people. Once you start going south it gets a lot different.

I play hockey with a guy from Australia, he moved here 6 years ago. He is so similar to us, except the accent. He told me Australia and Canada are basically the same except Canada is cold and Australia is warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada