Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:18 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamlin6969 View Post
From my experiences:

Northern USA and Canada are the same in looks and people. Once you start going south it gets a lot different.

I play hockey with a guy from Australia, he moved here 6 years ago. He is so similar to us, except the accent. He told me Australia and Canada are basically the same except Canada is cold and Australia is warm.
Yes I find we have more in common with Canadians than Americans (whom we see a lot more of Downunder for some reason).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Canadians are far more courteous drivers. Indeed, far more courteous people in general.

A fair number of Canadians I've met seem to lack any sense of sarcasm or irony, which I find fascinating.
Interesting observation about drivers. I have noticed the opposite- here in the Seattle area most of our drivers are curteous, but when going up to Vancouver, BC we find that drivers are much more rude/aggressive- and the cars we see down here with BC license plates tend to be more aggressive and rude as well.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:22 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times
When I last visited Canada I was stunned how different the two countries are.
Keep in mind I was in Banff and Calgary. It was so mellow compared to the Maryland are where I lived at the time. I loved Canada.I'd move there in a minute if I could. At the Calgary airport things seemed mellow and orderly, the Minneapolis airport things seemed turned up a big notch. BWI seemed like a riot after being in Alberta for five days. Canada wins easily in this Americans view in terms of quality of life. Not even close. My wife is a ER nurse and my son has two years left of HS and we are thinking Idaho but if Canada would work I'd go.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM

242 posts, read 510,608 times
^ if you have any questions about places to consider to move or any other advice from a fellow Canadian let me know

Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 PM

395 posts, read 859,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Interesting observation about drivers. I have noticed the opposite- here in the Seattle area most of our drivers are curteous, but when going up to Vancouver, BC we find that drivers are much more rude/aggressive- and the cars we see down here with BC license plates tend to be more aggressive and rude as well.
There might be an obvious reason for that, but I`m not gonna say.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:19 PM

264 posts, read 907,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
^ if you have any questions about places to consider to move or any other advice from a fellow Canadian let me know
Thanks Travis, for my situation it would be best if I kept my job as I like it and its a good company not in Canada. My wife is a ER nurse so I was thinking of a border town. I don't know if Kingston is commutable or not to upstate NY.
We are leaning towards Idaho now but have two full years to make decision.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:11 AM

70 posts, read 125,439 times
I went to Niagara Falls and Toronto last summer and apart from maple leaf flags, metric units, different money, and spelling differences Toronto didn't feel that foreign compared to Philadelphia. When I crossed the border from Niagara Falls, NY to Niagara Falls, ON, I first noticed that the Canadian side looked much nicer in the falls area and the tourist traps. Once I walked away from the falls toward the Megabus station I noticed that the houses looked similar and as if I hadn't crossed the border at all. The area around the bus station in Niagara Falls, ON didn't look better from Niagara Falls, NY though.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 PM

230 posts, read 535,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
Canadians are far more courteous drivers. Indeed, far more courteous people in general.

A fair number of Canadians I've met seem to lack any sense of sarcasm or irony, which I find fascinating.
The first time I read this I did a complete double take. Canadians courteous drivers?? Really?? Never before have I seen such rudeness on the road as in Canada, and that goes for even the more rural areas. People get on your ass and don't even back off if you tap your brakes; people deliberately prevent you from switching into their lane by speeding up; if you let someone go, there's a good chance you won't get a wave to say thanks; etc. In fact the only "courteous" aspect of Canadian drivers is that they're less likely to honk (and when they do it's for a quick second generally) if you don't immediately accelerate when the light turns green.

Highway etiquette is by and large far better in the States. I'm sorry but that's not subjective, it's fact. You should do a bit more traveling before making such a statement. And when you do, try this little experiment: pretend to have a flat tire, once in Canada and once in the US. See how long it takes someone to pull over and help you out in both countries. Then we can talk about who is more courteous. Actions speak louder than words.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Ever been to Philadelphia? What about South Florida? The U.S. is big. Just because you ran into some rude drivers in Montreal or Toronto doesn't mean the entire country is like that.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Ever been to Philadelphia? What about South Florida? The U.S. is big. Just because you ran into some rude drivers in Montreal or Toronto doesn't mean the entire country is like that.
Umm. Yeah. Ever driven I-95 between Miami and Fort Lauderdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada